Sponsored by:

HELP! Audi A6 Engine Light on

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Audi A6 Engine Light on

Hi,

My 03 Audi A6's engine checking light has been on recenty. I checked the code at Autozone, and was told it is "engine vaccum" problem, and it is OK.

However, I really want to turn it off, because it is so annoying and may fail the inspection. Could anyone please provide a relatively easy way to turn it off, permanently or even for a while during inspection?

Some friends told me that warming the engine before move and adding #87 gas may help solve the problem. Is that true?

I know there must be some experts on this board, please help me. Thank you so much!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2010, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If its nothing the light will go away. did he tell you waht the codes are?? what I did is get the shareware version of VAG and get a cable from Ebay (yeah I know ) and use the software to read codes and reset the light. That'a all I use it for at least I can tell what's going wrong for the most part. the shareware version doesn;t tell you everything but its a big help. Thanks VAG com for giving up the sharewqare version for this. But I own 3 AUdi's so I'm getting to the point where I need the full blown version. Cost $$$ so I'll have to wait on that for now. But it works form.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Audiworld Premium Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fulisite
Hi,

My 03 Audi A6's engine checking light has been on recenty. I checked the code at Autozone, and was told it is "engine vaccum" problem, and it is OK.

However, I really want to turn it off, because it is so annoying and may fail the inspection. Could anyone please provide a relatively easy way to turn it off, permanently or even for a while during inspection?

Some friends told me that warming the engine before move and adding #87 gas may help solve the problem. Is that true?

I know there must be some experts on this board, please help me. Thank you so much!!!!!!
The fact that the lamp is on means that there is an emissions related issue. So, the only way to "turn it off" is to resolve the issue.

Yes, sometimes the lamp will go off by itself after so many drive cycles but the code may remain set in the ECU and often will still prevent passing inspection - depends on your state.

The right thing to do is to get someone with VCDS (VAG-COM) or an equivalent factory level tool to scan your car. Then post that here and maybe we can advise you.