Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

2018 Q7 20 inch replacement wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2018 Q7 20 inch replacement wheels

Hello, I've searched and read the various threads on the topic but there is still conflicting information that affects my decision to replace the OEM 20in wheels (Audi # ALY58988 / 4M0601025AD) with aftermarkets. Since my Q7 only has 4K miles I want to mount the original run flat GoodYear tires (285/45/20) on the aftermarket wheels I plan to buy.
I plan to use the Audi OEM 20in wheels when I purchase winter tires next season. I do not want change tire sizes or wheel sizes.
I'm interested in the Hartmann HRS6-091-GS or the BBS SX 20x9 from Tire Rack.
My questions are:

1. There are conflicting claims that run flats need a special rim due to the extra bead on the tire/wheel . True or False??
Hartmann tells me that runflat tires can be mounted to their wheels but may lose the ability to be run with no tire pressure. QUOTE: " Historically runflat tires have relied on a wheel design with
a larger than normal inner bead area to keep the sidewall of the tire in place even without air pressure in the tire. Hartmann wheels have a conventionally sized inner bead. More recently it seems some tire brands have started marketing runflats that don't necessarily
need a large inner bead. Unfortunately I do not know if the Goodyear runflats on your Q7 require a large inner bead to maintain the runflat capability." I asked Goodyear and they had no information either.
Tire rack: QUOTE: "There was a time when some manufactures had extra humps built up on the bead seat of the wheel but with modern runflat tires that's not needed. The BBS SX will work just fine."

I asked on the Q7 forum and did not get any satisfactory info other than to up-size to 21-or 22 inches.

Any info/experiences you wheel experts can provide would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!
Old 04-05-2018, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Run flats are harsh riding Expensive Hard to get quickly.

These are experiences from a few years ago. I have not heard differently in recent times but I am no expert. Had any Audi I bought came with them the only mileage they would see is from the Audi dealership to Discount Tire.

Hartmann rims do not need hubcentric rings and use oem ball seat wheel bolts.