Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Buying Wheels in a Foreign Country (more)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-1999, 10:11 PM
Kenneth

Default Buying Wheels in a Foreign Country (more)

I have seen several times in this forum that quite a few U.S. A4.org'ers have purchased wheels from foreign countries (i.e., Hong Kong, Australia). Is it worth buying them in a foreign country? I wonder how people handle paying the custom duties when they bring the products into the U.S. I think the custom duties you will pay for the product will be more than the savings on buying the product abroad. Please let me know if I am missing something.
Old 08-17-1999, 10:24 PM
Roger

Default The duty at US Customs on alloys is 2.5% of declared value. The savings can be huge.

nt
Old 08-18-1999, 12:58 AM
Verik

In Canada it can be as high as 20+%
Old 08-18-1999, 06:26 AM
Paul Allen

Default Terrible foreign wheel experience!

I had a terrible experience buying wheels from England for my Lotus.

It took much longer than promised, the wheels were in customs here for over 2 weeks (I needed them for a track event, and missed it), and then they were scratched when they got here.

What would you do it the bolt pattern, centerbore, or offset was slightly wrong? Or what happens when you bend a wheel in a pothole a year later. Can you get a replacement?

On the other hand, you just can't beat a place like Tire Rack for standing behind their stuff.

I ordered a set of Pirelli 210 snow tires from Tire Rack for a 911 I used to have. I got them, installed them, and drove on them for 3 weeks. Then I noticed that they had accidentally sent the 210 Ice tires, which are not H-rated (130mph). I called them, they send the correct tires, and paid for the remounting and rebalancing.

Maybe if you're lucky a foreign order might work, but knowing what I know now, I would never do it again.
Old 08-23-1999, 10:40 AM
Paul S

Default Price wise I got a better deal. Only problem was...

US customs. Took 4 more days from expected/promised delivery. So much for the 2-day Fedex.