Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Differences between Micheline Pilot Alpine 2 and Dunlop Wintersport 3D?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 10:32 AM
GPZ
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences between Micheline Pilot Alpine 2 and Dunlop Wintersport 3D?

I went to my local, trusted Les Schwab dealer for some performance winter tires for my stock wineglass wheels in 205/55/16... (Sorry Gary, your local installer here has a really bad rep, and I won't use them anymore... Tires are the one thing that I am willing to pay locally for... and Les Schwab service has historically been outstanding.)

I wanted the Wintersport 3D's based mostly on recommendations here on this forum, however after I ordered and paid for them, they could only come up with 3 tires from their supplier, and for some reason couldn't get any more (WTF?)

Les Schwab then ordered me a set of the Pilot Alpine 2's, and is going to eat the price difference.

Is there any specific advantage of the 3D over the PA2 that I should insist on the 3D's and get my money back? I have a set of the older Artic Alpines on my Mercedes winter wheels that I've run for 3 seasons and I love them.

Before anyone starts telling me that I need a 'true' winter tire like the Micheline X-ice...please don't. The type of driving that I do in the winter necessitates a performance winter tire, like driving between Washington and S. CA through Nevada, with nearly 1000 miles of bare, dry highways and really high speeds, or ski trips every weekend where the only snow I see is only when I start the climb up the hill to the ski area's parking lot, or the occasional drive over the pass. When I do hit snow, I simply slow down and deal with it. No question that the X-ice is a superior snow tire, it just wouldn't be a wise investment for my driving needs and expected winter conditions.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Former Vendor

Default 3D has better snow traction vs PA2 has slightly better dry road handling/steering response.

However the difference is subtle so it might not be worth the hassle.

Also keep in mind that the Arctic Alpins that you liked so much are actually much closer to the Mich X-Ice in snow traction and dry road handling then the PA2.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Which did you end up going with? thx