Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Dunlop Wintersport M2 versus Michelin Pilot Alpin

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2000, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dunlop Wintersport M2 versus Michelin Pilot Alpin

I purchased Dunlop Wintersport M2's, 255/40/17 for my A6 4.2. I am very happy with them and get what I consider to be very good traction snow/ice for such a wide tire. Dry handling is very good. I'm curious, my other choice was the Michelin Pilot Alpins. I live in Colorado and snow is not as frequent thus I went with a performance snow tire. Any comparisons of both tires or comments on what folks think are better?
Old 12-08-2000, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Both could be considered a "performance" snow tire....

....some info I had saved:

<i>Posted by "Mike S"
mailto:Mikessp@ameritech.net

http://www.a4.org/forum/m/s4/12509.phtml

The Nokian, not "nokia"(that's a phone company from Finland) Hakapallita's didn't even meet the minimum requirements to be entered into the Porsche Winter Tire test as read in Christophorus magazine (Porsche's official magazine). After six, yes six weeks of testing in New Zealand on closed, snowed over park roads in the high mountain. Testing snow tires on every Porsche model and testing over 22 snow tires in six different sizes, Porsche recommended three tires and only three tires. They also placed them in three categories.

Frequent fast highway driving plus light snow and ice - Dunlop Winter Sport M2

Moderates snow and moderate highway driving - Pirelli 210 Asimmetrico's

Heavy snow and less frequent high speed driving - Michelin PILOT Arctic Alpine's - I emphasize the PILOT, as this is the only HR rated snow tire offered in North America from Michelin.

All of these tires are HR rates (130mph) and are said (by Porsche) to be safe at high speeds in the dry and rain also.

Porsche looked for tires that were good in the dry, rain, slush, snow, at high speed, lasted at least 20,000 KM (12,345 miles) and were QUIET on the highway.

All of these tires are available in 225/45-17's, so S4 owners can keep their factory size and looks. I purchased aftermarket wheels and will use my factory s4 wheels for the winter. Had my Pilot Artic Alpine's mounted on Friday.

Note: I had the Dunlop Winter Sport M2's last year and they were pretty good in the snow, but FANTASTIC in the dry and wet. They are also exceedingly quiet and wear very well. I bought the Michelin's because they are said to be 5-10% worse in the dry, but 20-25% better in deep snow and heavy ice.

The Winter Sport M2's were not as good as Blizzaks in the snow, but were much safer and better in the dry and rain. I WILL NOT drive on the original Blizzaks, but I cannot attest to the new higher performance Blizzaks.

If you live in an area where you get 5-15 moderate days of snow, get the Winter Sport M2's.

If you live in an area with 15 days or more of heavy snow or ice, get the Pirelli 210 Asimmetrico's.

If you live in an area with frequent heavy snow and ice, or care a little more about winter traction than summer, get the Michelin Pilot Artic Alpine's.

If you don't care much about dry and rain traction and don't EVER drive faster than 99mph, get a set of Blizzaks! They are truly the best snow tires, but they will not be acceptable for the average S4 driver (who most likely is a more sporty or aggressive driver).

Hope this helps!

Mike</i>
Old 12-08-2000, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Naw, these are more of a winter tire than a snow tire.
Old 12-09-2000, 04:05 AM

Default Actually, it is Michelin Pilot Alpin that is the H rated tire. The poster in S4 forum

incorrectly refers it as Michelin Pilot Artic Alpin. I am pretty sure it is Michelin Artic Alpin. Pilot Alpin is another beast.
Old 12-09-2000, 06:06 AM

Default Semantics; both terms reduce to the same thing...

... and in general, "winter" or "performance snows" are H-rated, vs. their Q-rated, more snow-aggressive bretheren.

-dan
Old 12-13-2000, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Semantics; both terms reduce to the same thing...

Thanks mucho to everyone for their great info ...