Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Gary, gf is looking for some highway all-season's for her '99 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gary, gf is looking for some highway all-season's for her '99 Tahoe

Based on what she has now, she was reco'd GY Fortera Triple Tread or Wrangler Silent Armor Fortera. I think that she would be better off sacrificing some dry traction for improved winter traction here in Reno, NV than the opposite. She's worse in the bad traction situations compared to summer: doesn't drive overly fast in dry weather, but doesn't slow quite enough in wet/snowy.

Based on this, I looked up the TripleTred on TR and saw that the General Grabber HTS was rated better in the online survey. What do you think? Is there any reliability to those online surveys? Any other recos?

Also, there's a distribution center 10 miles away. Is pick-up an option?

Thanks. And I loved the Michelin Pilot Alpins that I got from TR that you and AW helped me decide on for my b5s4.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Former Vendor

Default Re: Gary, gf is looking for some highway all-season's for her '99 Tahoe

Since the HT/S is so new there aren't many miles on the survey compared to the Goodyear tires. It is my feeling that either of the Goodyear models should do better in snow. I'd expect better packed snow and ice traction out of the Triple Tred, versus a bit better deep/loose snow traction with the Fortera Silent Armor. Customer pickup is no problem, just be sure to call me in advance so that I can get you an order # to give to the receptionist.<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR8&amp;url=/winter/index.jsp">winter</a></li></ul>
Old 11-18-2008, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks Gary. I was kinda thinking that, but thought I might as well check on it.

She needs a year-round tire, and I'd rather her sacrifice some dry road handling for a little extra winter traction.

We will be ordering the TripleTred likely within the next week. I'll email you.