Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Hit a huge ditch/pothole the other night and upon washing my car today, noticed...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-1999, 09:36 PM
JT

Default Hit a huge ditch/pothole the other night and upon washing my car today, noticed...

I noticed that one of my new Pirelli Winter 210A's has a "bubble" in the sidewall. You know what I mean, right? It has a bump/lump. I know that I'll need to replace it now, sice that is an indication that the sidewall has broken down in that spot, right? How bad is it to be driving on that tire? I've got only about 2K miles on them! What a pain. I called the Public Works Dept. of the city where the incident ocurred just to "log" my call and make and official complaint. The clerk agreed that that road did have two serious ditches/potholes and she said that sewage systems, etc. where being put in. What are my chances of having the city pay for it? What an inconvenience! =( Thanks!<p>JT 99' 1.8Tqms
Old 01-31-1999, 07:34 AM
JoeP

Default Re: Hit a huge ditch/pothole the other night and upon washing my car today, noticed...

Try to get a new one from Pirelli under the warrantee. This has worked for me in the past. Claim that it is a manufacturing defect.<br>Joe<br>98.5 1.8TQM and 1993 S4
Old 02-01-1999, 08:45 AM
Ray Calvo

Default Re: Hit a huge ditch/pothole the other night and upon washing my car today, noticed...

1) getting gummint to pay for this - ggod luck! Never heard of it happening here in "Pothole Town" (Pittsburgh. PA).<p>2) re driving: For a little local easy driving (stop-&-go commute, no pusing it), are prob. OK. Would be VERY leery of high-speed highway or "sproty" driving; if tire blows, you'll have a lot more to worry about than just a tire replacement.<p>Watch bulge size - if it starts expanding, replace it immediately.
Old 02-01-1999, 06:44 PM
JT

Default Update: Tire Rack mailing me a new tire at half price and...

I spoke to the Public Works Dept. of the city I incurred the damage. They said I'm not the only one who called on this issue and that, provided I write a letter and submit my receipts, they'd probably reimburse me! Still an inconvenience, but that's life, right? =)<p>JT 99' 1.8Tqms
Old 02-02-1999, 10:32 AM
JimV

Default towns are insured for this sort of thing

I used to work for an insurance company that insured municipalities for exactly this sort of thing. If you fall on an uncleaned sidewalk. If a municipal vehicle crashes into yours, if you hit a pothole, etc.<p>Now NYC and surroundings has their own rules about 'pre-registered' potholes before you can make a claim etc, so you should look into your rules, but if they already know about the pothole and didnt take action to fix it, then either the insurer or the town should and will reimburse you. Your tax dollars pay for non-pothole roads and the municipality is responsible if you nail a pot hole.<p>Good luck, it should be a big deal.<br>
Old 02-03-1999, 11:04 PM
Brian P.

Default Replace Immediately

I've experienced a high speed blow-out, where the steel belt lashed the wheel-well - quite a mess. I've also experienced "road bite" caught on a single lane road in Scotland where the tire got pinched at the edge of the road - bam! - instant flat. I'd freak if I saw a buldge. Too big of a risk. Replace at your cost and seek reimbursement later. My two cents....<p>Brian P.