Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

OK, mounted my SP4000s, but how much is 90 lbs torque?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-1998, 06:05 PM
Dank

Default OK, mounted my SP4000s, but how much is 90 lbs torque?

Mounted my new wheels/tires today, but I don't happen to have a torque wrench lying around... So roughly how much is 90 pounds torque for the wheels? I think I put them back at about the same tightness as they were originally, but who knows if they were set correctly before.<br>Also, when you guys use your crap winter wheels, do you put the lug covers back onto the lugs, or keep them off?
Old 12-26-1998, 08:00 PM
Ray Calvo

Default Re: OK, mounted my SP4000s, but how much is 90 lbs torque?

With wrench horizontal, hang one of the following weights at the following distances from the socket; all will result in a torque of 90 ft-lbs.:<p>a) 90 lbs at 1 ft.<br>b) 45 lbs at 2 ft<br>c) 30 lbs at 3 ft<p>Find something that weighs about the same of any of the above chosen weights, see how much force you need to lift it, grab wrench at chosen weight-distance, and pull up by same amount needed to lift chosen weight. Should be darn close.<p>This method will get away from unknown vagaries associated with the length of the wrench you are using; Obviously, with a longer wrench you need to apply lower force to get same torque.<p>I'm using the 15" wheels form the 1.8T; plastic lug caps stayed off; if I have to change a tire when its -10 Deg out, I want it to be as easy as possible.<p>
Old 12-27-1998, 11:12 PM
PhilJ

Default Consider investing in a torque wrench...

It's one of the most important investments you can ever make.<p>I have one of those 1/2-inch torque wrenches with a 2-foot long handle. (Bought it like 10 years ago at an auto parts store like Pep Boys or something, around US$50. Griot's Garage has a pretty nice one for $175 that includes lifetime free torque wrench testing too)<p>You twist the end of the handle that has some indicators on it, and dial in the amount of torque you want, say 80 pound-feet.<p>Then, when you're tightening the lug bolt and reach the correct amount of torque, the wrench will give a loud "click" and you will feel the handle give a bit. All done!<p>-PhilJ<br>98/5 2.8QtipS with 80lb-ft lug bolts...
Old 12-29-1998, 06:25 AM
Steve Mac

Default Re: Consider investing in a torque wrench...

Or try one of the beam/needle type. They're less expensive and plenty accurate for wheel nut tightening. Available at many places for ~$25. Mine's a Craftsman.<p>BTW, my impact wrench has also been calibrated to give the same torque. Much quicker!<p>Steve
Old 12-29-1998, 10:05 AM
Todd W

Default I suggest the click type

The beam type is actually more accurate, but for wheel lugs being consistent is more critical than being accurate. Speaking of which, it's time to get the ol' Craftsman $50 special calibrated.<p>The ~9" multi-color lug-torque thingies for impact guns are good too. Just don't use them for the track. (they also work great for tightening the cam gear on the 5cyl)<p>Todd W
Old 12-29-1998, 03:13 PM
Steve S.

Default Hey Todd...I can't get the ole Craftsman to work right - help!

I got one for my b-day last September...but I have yet to get it to work. I am<br>still trying to dial in 85-90 lbs..and get the thing to click...NO GO. I guess I<br>gotta go take it to some place that uses them alot...and get them to try it.<br>(I do not have the bar one...)<p>I gotta believe that I am doing it correctly...I just couldn't get it to click...<br>AT any setting...even the lowest one.<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM
Old 12-29-1998, 03:54 PM
Jim Simone

Default Re:...I can't get the ole Craftsman to work right - help!

Steve, <p>I've got the Craftsman model also. Try unwinding it to the lowest setting (20 ft-lbs.?) and reset to 85 ft-lbs.and try again. If it still doesn't "click", stop by Sears and exchange it for a new one.<p>HTH,<br>Jim
Old 12-29-1998, 07:11 PM
Steve S.

Default Thanks Jim...btw, where you been?

Growin a new crop in the SC hills.... :-)<p>Sorry, I grew up in the 70's!<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM
Old 12-31-1998, 08:38 AM
Todd W

Default Also, store it at a very low setting

Sounds like it's dead <p>Unfortunately, I don't think torque wrenches are part of the lifetime replacement plan. Nonetheless, if yours has never worked you have a case for replacement. <p>Should I take mine to Sears or Snap-On for calibration?<p>Todd W