Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Question for those who are using Koni's.....How.......(more)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-1999, 07:33 PM
Nick T

Default Question for those who are using Koni's.....How.......(more)

U guys adjusted them front and rear. What is the firmness setting u are running on each corners?

I am deciding whether to go with Bilstien or Koni.

While Bilsteins come in only one frimness (which is firmer than stock A4), Konis are freely adjustable.

I have heard that Konis are very hard to have them perfectly adjusted . Is that true? How can u determine that u have the same firmness setting for left and right?

Are there clicks, steps or any kind of indicator to clearly show the level of firmness that u choose? (Somting like a **** with firmness number labeled on it)

The thought of having them removed for re-adjusting after realizing that I don't have balance setting scares me from buying them.

I really need yer input
before I make a decision,
Thanks!
Old 10-27-1999, 08:10 PM
CraigB

Default I have H&R Sport/Koni...

Knowing what I know now, I would proabably get the Bilsteins (in fact I still might). I'm not sure how mine are set right now. I asked that they be set on medium settings, but I can't verify that. There is a little too much rebound in the front over larger bumps. Otherwise, I'm happy with the ride. I plan to have them adjusted to a firmer setting soon. They do have a set number of clicks (8 in front; 5 in rear?), so it's not difficult to match left and right.

Also, if you don't have a place to buy them yet, check out shox.com. They have the best prices I've found.

CraigB<ul><li><a href="http://www.shox.com">shox.com</a></li></ul>
Old 10-28-1999, 11:22 AM
KC

Default I have H&R Race and Koni

I have only about 400 miles on this suspension setup. I have mixed feelings about it, but in general, I like my them very much. I had the front set at medium and rear set at 3/4 to max.

Since the rear are set stiffer than the front, I finally got rid off the annoying tendency to understeer. In fact, I can oversteer through corners especially in the wet which is the way I like it. Generally, the car is very neutral and well-balanced. The ride is perfect for me the way it is now.

Why did I say I have mixed feelings? Because I thought the rear shocks can be adjusted right on the car, but it turns out this is not true. Also the ride height is a bit too tall for me, I wish Konis have adjustable spring perch like Bilstien.

BTW, you won't have any problems adjusting the equal amount for left and right. For the rear, it's determined by 12 clicks. You can adjust them with a screw driver or any metal stick. From 0 clicks which is the original Koni setting to 12 which is the max rebound. There's no indicators so you just have to know how many clicks you are adjusting to for both sides. I'm not sure how the front is adjusted because I wasn't allowed in the garage at the time.

Hope this helps.

KC
97 Silver 1.8TQM
Old 10-28-1999, 09:54 PM
Nick T.

So, Koni's raised your car up, right?
Old 10-28-1999, 11:27 PM
KC

Default Yes..

I had H&R race springs with stock (non-sport)shocks. With the Konis installed, yes, it raised my car up a little.

KC
97 Silver 1.8TQM