Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

replacement of tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacement of tires

I have 13000 miles on my TT. I just had the left rear tire blow out and I went to have it replaced. The guy at the tire shop said if I didn't replace both rear tires it would eventually damage my quattro system. I called the dealership. They told me Audi recommends replacing all 4 tires because of uneven wear to the tires but they assured me there wouldn't be damage to the quattro system even if I just replaced the one tire. Why should I get rid of 3 perfectly good tires now just to avoid uneven wear to those same tires?
Old 11-26-2001, 12:49 PM

Default I'd get 2 new ones

I always want the same tire wear on the same axle. In a perfect world, where money was no object, then replace all 4. Quattro will prefer that. If there is significant difference of wear (and corresponding diameter) between tires, this may upset anything that is taking input based on the rolling speed of a single wheel. For example, ABS may get confused if it senses your right rear wheel is spinning faster than the others and may activate or it may trigger EDL. Doing this for a short term (e.g., when you have that donut spare on til you get it fixed) is probably OK, but doing it for longer may cause some damage to big $ items on your car.

How much rolling diameter difference before there is a problem is a bit grey. 13000 miles on some tires is pretty damn worn, though. I'd would replace two tires if it were me. Run your new tires up front, the old ones in the back. You can probably sell your extra "good" tire to the tire shop for some piddly amount of money, or keep it for a spare spare.
Old 11-27-2001, 06:04 AM

Default Like Sharon said...

Quattro or not is better to have same wear tires per axle.

Get 2 and you'll be OK

MAX
800-489-5353 ext 203
MAX@edgeracing.com<ul><li><a href="http://www.edgeracing.com/ER%20Tires.asp">http://www.edgeracing.com/ER%20Tires.asp</a</li></ul>
Old 11-28-2001, 09:45 AM

Default A4/S4 service manual says...

Replace tires in pairs on the same axle. There is nothing in the manual that specifies max allowable rolling diameters or circumferences.

The Haldex may be different than the Torsen in this regard, I do not know. I know our Subaru manual did specify maximum allowable circumference differences, and the max was less than between a typical new and half worn tire.