Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Rubbing with aftermarket wheels....need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-1999, 08:50 PM
Raja

Default Rubbing with aftermarket wheels....need help

Greetings all. About 2 months ago I installed a set of Neuspeed sport springs on my fwd 1.8T and also stepped up to 17x8 Borbet Type T's with 225/45/17 Sumitomo's. Everything went fine for about a month, and then started getting rubbing noises from the fronts. The noise has become more pronounced, particularly when coasting to a stop? Any idea what could be causing this? I'm running 35psi all around. Thanks in advance,

Raja
Old 10-05-1999, 02:25 PM
Reggie

Default Need more info

Does it happen turning? Straight? all speeds? Constant all times?

Have you looked at the tires/wheels for wear or marks?

Possible issues are brakes also.

There were problems with some people and the bolts used to mount new wheels and the rotors.
Old 10-06-1999, 08:53 PM
Raja

Default Re: Need more info

Reggie, thanks for responding. The "rubbing" occurs both when turning and when going straight. Particularly when coming to a stop I can hear the distinct sound of something rubbing as the car coasts to a stop. I didn't hear anything much when I first installed the wheels and springs, at which time the wheels were at 32psi. As time wore on I started to hear some rubbing. Then I increased the tire pressure to 35psi (following advice from Gary@Ronal) and the rubbing definitely became more pronounced. Then I flew over a speed bump doing about 80mph one day (taking a friend to the hospital) and when the car landed I heard rubbing. I've tried to look under the wheel wells to see if I can see any marks on the tires, but haven't seen anything. Again, it sounds like just the front wheels, but I can't be sure. Thanks again for any advice you can give.

Raja
Old 10-07-1999, 09:27 AM
NickS

Default Try this...

Use some white shoe polish on the inside sidewall (make vertical lines from rim to tread) in a few spots and drive around. If some of the polish is gone then you know you have rubbing. If they are still there, then it's something else.
Old 10-10-1999, 12:46 PM
Raja

Default Thanks for the advice Nick, I'll give it a try.