Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Scratched rim... will it rust? Stock 99.5 1.8T (non-sport) rim.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-1999, 05:29 AM
Anthony

Default Scratched rim... will it rust? Stock 99.5 1.8T (non-sport) rim.

I'm worried because I live in the Chicago area (I recently moved here from Texas and haven't been through a winter yet... it's coming though!) I scratched the "lip" part, right next to the tire. It's a 3" long scrape, fairly deep. Damn me and my carelessness. I was trying to get close to the curb (to avoid dings! ironic isn't it, Alanis should put that one in her song). If I don't get it fixed, will it rust during the winter with the harsh environment, or will the fact that they are an aluminum alloy (I think) save them from that orangey (a word?) fate? Thanks,
Anthony
Old 10-19-1999, 07:12 AM
JayP

Aluminum doesn't rust. (Shoulda stayed in Texas.)
Old 10-19-1999, 07:54 AM
Anthony

I just wasn't sure about aluminum "alloy". You're right about Texas too...
Old 10-19-1999, 08:15 AM
Lucas

Default Rubbish, Aluminium rusts faster than Steel.

Have you ever seen a clean piece of aluminium?
I think not, It rusts so fast that that within seconds of have a clean surface, it is coated with a film of aluminium oxide.
This Oxide is dense that it does not allow oxygen molecules to attack further aluminium.

Try this, get a sheet of Aluminium foil, use mercury, (Mercury is the solvent for alu oxide)
and with in seconds holes will appear, and if air is totally still you will get towers of oxide build.
Further point, If aluminium did not rust, It would be a naturally occuring mineral, But it is not, it is made from aluminium oxide which is its natural state.

Sorry for the Chem Lesson.
Old 10-19-1999, 10:52 AM
Adam S

Default Don't feel too bad, I did the same thing (more)

That lip sticks out just enough to catch it on a curb. I'm planning on filing the area, then using a bit of fine sandpaper. A little Audi Light Silver (metallic) touch-up paint should do the trick, then hit it with a few coats of clear-coat - that should keep it from rusting I think.