Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Three peak symbol on tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for very helpful responses -- especially the video! EDB
Old 10-27-2018, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by motoguy128
... bottom line, there si no such thing as a all season tire. You always have compromises in dry and warm conditions vs. ice, snow and wet. They are often called "no-season tires". But if you drive fairly conservative in summer, or live in a climate like the pacific NW, of the Northeast without a real summer or a very ,very short one, it is probably a much better option than all season tires.
well here in NY we have all seasons which why they call it all season tires.
why make up something that does not exist.
all season tires just like is said good for summer, fall, winter and spring.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bravo659
well here in NY we have all seasons which why they call it all season tires.
why make up something that does not exist.
all season tires just like is said good for summer, fall, winter and spring.
This is a bit like saying you have a Leatherman, so there's no reason to ever use pliers, scissors, a screwdriver, knife, bottle or can opener. After all, you have one tool that has all of these, so anything else would be pointless. The difference in performance between having summer tires in warm weather and winter tires in cold weather vs. all-seasons year-round is that dramatic.

I live in Chicago, which like NY gets every season. After the very first year with winter tires on my car, I swore we would never own another car without a dedicated set. Blizzaks went on our new Q7 yesterday.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
This is a bit like saying you have a Leatherman, so there's no reason to ever use pliers, scissors, a screwdriver, knife, bottle or can opener. After all, you have one tool that has all of these, so anything else would be pointless. The difference in performance between having summer tires in warm weather and winter tires in cold weather vs. all-seasons year-round is that dramatic.

I live in Chicago, which like NY gets every season. After the very first year with winter tires on my car, I swore we would never own another car without a dedicated set. Blizzaks went on our new Q7 yesterday.
Very well said
Old 11-26-2018, 03:51 PM
QS4
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Yeah but,

Originally Posted by EEMan
Has anyone tried the year round tires with the new three peak symbol for snow performance? Michelin CrossClimate is one example. TireRack had a test of them, but I'd like to hear from an actual buyer. These tires are advertised to be better than M+S tires but not quite as good as dedicated winter tires in snow/ice. The plus is being able to run them year 'round and still have decent tread life. I have a 2017 A4 allroad. Thanks.
EEMan, I hope your 'actual buyer' response is from your next door neighbor who happens to go the same places you go AND has the same expectations for tire use and traction that you do! Otherwise that 'real owner' experience isn't worth the time it takes to read it!

What is the worst winter driving that you expect to encounter? How important is it to you (and your cargo) that you get through that scenario? How much do (will) you slow down your driving style if you are unwilling to wait out the severe weather? Questions regarding the opposite (aggressive driving) applies for summer weather but because you're asking about this rating... and you're in an AllRoad.

The two videos in this thread do an excellent job of explaining several aspects of tire technology and how that applies to these All-Seasons in snow. I would definitely trust the Mountain/Snowflake symbol on an A/S tire over one without it IF my concern is snowy winter traction.

As always, it would be great if you returned to share the ending to your story!
Old 11-28-2018, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I ran all season in a Nissan Rogue and had no problems even in terrible weather. I would expect that the Audi, having a much better all wheel drive system, would do as good or much better than my Rogue did with all season tires. I expect to find out this winter.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is an update on my tire buying experience. I was interested in the three peak tires but not in a hurry to buy. Until I hit a pothole destroying the two driver side tires just before TG. The Colorado Springs Audi dealer had no tires for me so the flatbed took me to Discount Tire. There was only one option if I wanted the three peak tires — Nokian WR G4. Fortunately I had read some reviews and they were on my list of possibilities. They obtained a set and had me on the road by the end of the day. What do I think? A little noiser than the OEM Continentals, but otherwise I have not given them much of a test. Living on the Front Range here in Colorado I see periods of snow, but generally it is fairly mild. We will be heading to the mountains to ski in Breckenridge and will likely experience snow there. Even so roads and streets are well plowed to keep the ski money flowing. My allroad replaces an X3 that I drove for years with just Pirelli Scorpions until a close call. I mounted Blizzaks for winter after that. My daughter still has the X3 in Maine and is using Blizzaks. A great car by the way. So as soon as I have some snow experience I’ll come back and post more. I am pretty sure the Nokians will do the job for me. By the way, Audi Roadside assist was a bust. Since two tires were needed they couldn’t help. They would cover a flatbed but only to the dealer — where no tires were available. The dealer even told me to go to Discount which was closer than the dealer, but no flexibility on that. A stupid Audi policy! AAA did a great job for me that day.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by EEMan
Here is an update on my tire buying experience. I was interested in the three peak tires but not in a hurry to buy. Until I hit a pothole destroying the two driver side tires just before TG. The Colorado Springs Audi dealer had no tires for me so the flatbed took me to Discount Tire. There was only one option if I wanted the three peak tires — Nokian WR G4. Fortunately I had read some reviews and they were on my list of possibilities. They obtained a set and had me on the road by the end of the day. What do I think? A little noiser than the OEM Continentals, but otherwise I have not given them much of a test. Living on the Front Range here in Colorado I see periods of snow, but generally it is fairly mild. We will be heading to the mountains to ski in Breckenridge and will likely experience snow there. Even so roads and streets are well plowed to keep the ski money flowing. My allroad replaces an X3 that I drove for years with just Pirelli Scorpions until a close call. I mounted Blizzaks for winter after that. My daughter still has the X3 in Maine and is using Blizzaks. A great car by the way. So as soon as I have some snow experience I’ll come back and post more. I am pretty sure the Nokians will do the job for me. By the way, Audi Roadside assist was a bust. Since two tires were needed they couldn’t help. They would cover a flatbed but only to the dealer — where no tires were available. The dealer even told me to go to Discount which was closer than the dealer, but no flexibility on that. A stupid Audi policy! AAA did a great job for me that day.
good morning, some experience with Audi. Seem they dont like to stock tires and get stuck with them.
let us know how your experience of the Nokian Tires.