Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Tire selection for 2.8qms- HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-1999, 04:40 AM
MSM

Default Tire selection for 2.8qms- HELP

I will need to replace my Dunlops soon. While I love the performance I would like something that will wear longer. I called the local tire supplyer and explaned this. He recomended going down to a V rated tire. Said it will perform the same except at the limits and even then you have to be looking for it. I mentioned I had heard the Pirelli P7000ss have a reputation for very long tred life but several folks have been dissapointed in the performance. He told me in gerneral the Perelli's will perform better but wear faster. He suspected the same of the P7000 ss.
He recomended a Toyo that would be on par with the 8000 E's. I have never heard of this Co. befor. Does anyone know which model he is refering to? I also asked what is the difference between the 8000 and the 8000 E. He told me the E is the OEM tire. The 8000 is the replacement. I find it hard to belive that this is the only difference since the Tire Rack list the 8000 for $86 and the 8000E for $116. Oh, Im so confused. What I want is a tire that performs like the 8000E, last longer and cost a max, of $125ea. Is such a thing available. I run Dunlop M2 winter sports in the snow so the snow factor is of no concern.
any help wold be apprieceated,
Thanks
Mark
Old 10-10-1999, 10:32 AM
Mark Collett

Default Re: Tire selection for 2.8qms- HELP

I think you may be hard pressed to find something in the $125 to perform comparably. Tires similar to the 8000 in performance will be expensive - I haven't driven on these tires (yet) but they look like your typical summer tire. No sipes, large tread blocks for stiffness and good cornering, probably good traction but not great wear, rain grooves to help in the rain.

How long did your set last?

If you want to stay with the same type of tire (performance wise) I would suggest a leftover BFG Comp TA ZR (looks similar to the 8000) and should be within your price range. It is the predecessor to the g-force KDW which is also a great tire but costs more.

If you would consider an all-weather tire check out an XGT H4 or XGT V4 from Michelin. They will not have dry traction as high as the BFG but will have better wet traction and some amount of slush capability. The H4 goes for less than $100, the V4 for a bit more than $100.

There's alot of tires to choose from - make sure you check the UTQG rating for treadwear, and compare. I more expensive tire may have a higher rating than a lesser expensive tire, which may help offset the cost (it will last longer than the cheaper tire). Of course this all depends on your driving habits.

Remember - do not skimp on tires. They're the most important link between you and the road.

I hope this may help!

Mark Collett
Old 10-10-1999, 10:33 AM
Mark Collett

Also try donp's website about an explanation about the difference between 8000 & 8000E
Old 10-11-1999, 06:44 AM
Drew S.

Default I agree with Mark, $125 is too low for high performance.

I have Toyo's and they perform great. This is my first set so I can't comment on total tread life. Like all manufacturers, Toyo has several tires to choose from. I have the Proxes T1-Plus tires, which were recently replaced with a newer model, called the Proxes T1-S. Your best bet for a low-priced high performance tire from Toyo is to try to find a dealer that still has a set of Proxes T1-Plus in stock. I would think that the dealer would offer a discount since the tire is discontinued. Don't let that bother you, it is a fantastic tire. If you can get these for $125/tire, then I'd recommend taking them. These sold for around $150+ before the T1-S came out.

You can look at the Toyo website for other tires that will be less expensive than the Proxes T1-S. They also have a dealer locator online.<ul><li><a href="http://www.toyo.com">Toyo website (www.toyo.com)</a></li></ul>
Old 10-11-1999, 12:20 PM
Reggie

Default I'm running SP9000s now in 17" size. I can feel a difference but

I don't know if it is due to the 17" wheels or the 225/45 vs 205/55 difference. They do seem to stick better than the 8000s and they are suppose to wear better

Reggie

98.5 30vQMS