Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Wheel balancing problems--is it the tires or the rims??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2000, 01:11 PM
bassrun

Default Wheel balancing problems--is it the tires or the rims??

I just had a set of 16" Mille Miglia 11-2's put on my new A4 Avant (with Sport Pkg), using the OEM Dunlop SP8000e's. The installer (who'd been recommended by the Tire Rack) said he couldn't quite get the wheels balanced properly and said I should take my car to have the wheels dynamically balanced on the car.

How common is this sort of thing? Is it likely to mean that the rims are bad? Or the tires? How good is quality control on the OEM Dunlop Sport tires?

BTW, the 5-spokes look great, though I'm gonna try and change the logo on the caps from red to black.

--John
Old 02-17-2000, 05:05 PM
IslOMan

Default Re: Wheel balancing problems--is it the tires or the rims??

You shouldn't have to balance the tire/wheel assembly on the car. Since you are actually balancing the tire on the wheel, a trick that I used in the past was to break the bead on the tire and rotate the tire on the rim 45 degrees, reinflate then try balancing again. It could be that a heavy spot on the tire and rim are at the same location. Repeat the procedure if the first time doesn't fix it.

Hope this works for you too.
Old 02-17-2000, 08:34 PM
gman

Default Re: Wheel balancing problems--is it the tires or the rims??

Having the wheel balanced on the car will take into account the brake rotors. Because the rotors don't wear uniformly they can account for an small amount of vibration even if the wheels are balanced perfectly..