Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Will it fit?? Help!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-1999, 03:52 PM
Man in need of suggestions

Default Will it fit?? Help!?!

I'm thinking of getting rims on my car. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of 18x8 in front and 18x8.5 or even 18x9 in the back. Will it fit?? are the 18x9 going to be too wide on the back?? I also wanted to drop it with the H&R race springs (about 1.5" in front and 1.9" in the rear). Will it rub?? Does anyone have similar setup and would like to share their thought on this?? Thanks...
Old 07-08-1999, 05:51 PM
Francis Y.

Default if you have Quattro, best to avoid mismatched wheel sizes front and back.

x<br>
Old 07-08-1999, 10:45 PM
ChuckH

Default NO, NO, NO! Never put larger wheels on the back of...

...an A4 whether it is quattro or not. This will make the car understeer like a pig, and with quattro, you could cause damage to the drivetrain. Bigger rear wheels are for RWD cars. 18"x8.5" all around would probably work fine, but anything bigger will likely require body modifications to avoid rubbing, especially if you drop it that much. Also, out of curiosity, why would you want to lower the back more than the front. Your car will look like you've got 500 lbs of dead bodies in the trunk if you do that. If you're gonna do it, do it right! :-)<p>Charles<br>
Old 07-10-1999, 12:49 AM
Help?!

Default I meant 1.9 front and 1.5 back...sorry. yeah, it would look kindda ugly if the back was lower than the front...

I meant 1.9 front and 1.5 rear drop. By the way, do they make 18x8.5 for the SSR rims and how much do they run for?? thanks
Old 07-10-1999, 01:33 AM
ChuckH

Default Thank God! :-) (more)

I wish I knew the answer to your question, but I don't. If I find it somewhere, however, I'll let you know. BTW, I hope I didn't sound like I was yelling at you or anything. Just trying to get your attention! :-) The only time I've seen different sized wheels and tires on a quattro was a highly modified S2 Coupe (400+ HP, if I remember correctly), and it had the larger tires on the front in order to help create a slight oversteer. In this particular case, the tires were carefully matched so that rolling diameter differences were negligible, and reliability was obviously not a high priority anyway.<p>I'm stuck at home due to knee surgery, so I will have time to surf the seb a lot. If I don't forget (3 second memory here!), I'll see if I can come up with anything on those wheels for you.<p>Thanks for clarifying on the drop! I should have known you didn't really mean that, but I've seen some Jettas and what not that were way too low on the back, compared to the front. Probably because of the 300 lbs of stolen stereo equipment in the back!<p>Charles<br>