A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

warning light

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warning light

i have a yellow warning light that is a triangle with an exclamation point in the center with a circle with an arrow at the end of it. what does this mean? can anyone help?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Your description has painted an odd image in my head. Could you possibly take a picture of it and upload it?

Also, have you read the manual? Go through to the instrument cluster section and look for the symbol. Should be in there.

Last edited by audi_buff; 01-08-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thats the traction control light. It normally lights if the car detects slippage and engages the ESP. It will stay lit if you press the ESP button on the center stack of the dash. If it stay lit all the time regardless then it means something in the ESp system is broken, but I don't have the expertise to know what...maybe ABS sensor(s), but I honestly don't know.

If you have access to a VAG-com cable you cna probably find out more specific info. I'm sure someone will chime in that knows more than I do though.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That sounds right. I was thinking that but wasn't sure. I know that if it comes on you can try driving down a straight road, reach 30km/h and it should re-calibrate. If this doesn't happen and the ESP button does nothing then you may have a faulty module. Where are you located? Maybe someone with a VagCom lives nearby and can pull the code for you. Otherwise you're looking at at least one hour's labour for a shop to scan it.

A quick fix might be to disconnect the battery, count to 10, then reconnect it. The light usually comes on after this but you can do the re-calibration by driving like I just mentioned and it might fix it.

Good luck.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by audi_buff
That sounds right. I was thinking that but wasn't sure. I know that if it comes on you can try driving down a straight road, reach 30km/h and it should re-calibrate. If this doesn't happen and the ESP button does nothing then you may have a faulty module. Where are you located? Maybe someone with a VagCom lives nearby and can pull the code for you. Otherwise you're looking at at least one hour's labour for a shop to scan it.

A quick fix might be to disconnect the battery, count to 10, then reconnect it. The light usually comes on after this but you can do the re-calibration by driving like I just mentioned and it might fix it.

Good luck.
I registered to say this solved the problem. Thank you very much for posting this information, I left the lights on and battery drained, after jump starting the weird yellow light with the exclaimation in a triangle showed up and following your instructions helped me to reset. I am sure this would have cost a fortune at the dealership to diag and fix. Thanks again.