A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Ignition Lock Failure (A4)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Lock Failure (A4)

Hey guys -

I'm brand new here and posted an intro post to say hello. I joined after searching for a solution to the Ignition Lock Failure icon/warning, which showed up this morning.

I'm hoping to gain some insight on a solution / DIY-style.

Here's the rundown (PS - I searched the forum and Google first). I own a 2009 Audi A4 2.0T, automatic.

1) Key had been intermittently getting stuck when I'd power down. Didn't pay much mind as I thought it was a minor thing.
2) Read about the 'leave key for a few seconds' after turning off ignition (pressing key) and this seemed to remedy any issues.
3) Saturday night, the key would not come out of the dash. I tried everything - restarted, shut down, left the key, but no luck.
4) Sunday I put a new battery in the key while in the dash and replaced the battery in the spare FOB as well. Key still stuck. I resorted to removing the analogue key from the FOB and used that to at least lock my doors, leaving the FOB where she sat in the dash.
5) Saturday evening after a short drive, I turned off ignition and heard the audible 'click'. Key came out. Nice.
6) From there, I put the key in, drove away and later realized the FOB just floats in the dash - in other words, I can pull it out while driving. This is by far the better of the two options as I can use the FOB to lock the doors and can start / stop the car. Not ideal, but it gets me around w/ out having to manually lock the doors (first-world problems, I realize).

7) This morning, the 'Ignition Lock Failure' indicator came on. All still 'works' but now I have the warning light on.

NOTES: FOBs are clean, no buildup on sides by locking tabs. Dash insert is clean and clear from what I can see. New batteries in both FOBs.

What I'd like to know:

1) Is this the lock mechanism itself? Part #8K0909131C
2) If so, can I just order a used part and put it in myself (eBay etc.)?
3) If so, how difficult / easy is it to swap? Would I need new FOBs to match or can I sync my existing keys up to the new ignition lock/switch?
4) Anything else I need to know?
5) Any leads on good spots to purchase this part or future parts?

Thanks in advance - I appreciate any help / insight.
Mike
Old 07-04-2016, 08:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a link to a guy on Audizine fixing your exact problem: DIY: Ignition switch replacement
Old 07-04-2016, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link. I actually discovered this thread shortly after posting here - perfect.

I've since ordered a new OEM ignition for about $100 CDN through the US.

One lingering question is if anything needs to be programmed / synced as far as key to car. The local dealership said it would, however, nothing was noted in the write-up at Audzine.

Originally Posted by mecgmecg
Here is a link to a guy on Audizine fixing your exact problem: DIY: Ignition switch replacement
Old 07-04-2016, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't think anything would need to be programmed. I think the key info is in the computer and the switch is just a reader of the key fob, and switch, of course. You could try starting the car immediately after plugging in the new switch to see if it will work or not.