A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 03:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

little help on battery issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default little help on battery issue?

just bought a used 2009 A4 2.0 T about 112k
hostory of battery unknown.
The last 4 weeks has run with no issues. Left it in the garage for 5 days and went to start it this morning and it didnt turn ove just click click of the stator Later tonight I jumped it with a battery booster and ut turned over no issues, took it for a spin for abotu 20 min. Backin garage, turned off and tried turning it over.. nothing exccept the clik clik of the stator.
Any ideas? I'm about to check the battery itself, any corrosion etc and then measure it. Anyone any insight into alternator or battery?
Old 05-26-2015, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

just checked the battery. no issues visually no crud on connectiosn looks pristine. With car off the batt reads 10 with car running its 14....
Old 05-26-2015, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I can't swear about your model, but most of the new cars have "power management systems" that will do things like keep the door lock sensors active for xx days and then power them down to save power. Some systems stay active, others get shut...the car is doing things you can't tell.

In which case, a car that was often left to stand unused for a week, would have a very weak battery after a couple of years. For most cars, four years is all you'd get on a battery under the best circumstances.

You CAN test the battery, any auto chain or battery wholesaler will do a load test on it for you, although a "buried" battery (like my Q5) won't make them happy, it helps if you make it accessible. You can also do a voltage test on it. Buy a $10 digital car voltmeter that plugs into the lighter socket. Turn the car on--without starting it--after letting it charge and then sit overnight, and the battery would read about 12.7 "new", 12.4 acceptable, 12.1, really time to replace. Start the car and run it, and you should see about 14.4 when the car is running--or else the alternator is bad.
Ain't rocket science, any car repair manual for any car will show about the same thing.

There is also a manufacturing date code on your battery. On mine it is a nickel-sized black label with white print for the month/year (two digits each) printed on it. A real Varta from Germany, no less.
On every battery I've seen here in the US, there's a date code either embossed or ink-jetted on the side of the battery, near the top (usually within an inch of the top) hidden under one of the big labels, so it can be checked for warranty purposes. Any dealer should be able to tell you where the date code is, or any Varta dealer.

A battery that reads "10" is WAY past DEAD. Whoever you bought it from, probably knew about this and tried to cheat you by not mentioning it. A gentle phone call reminding them about that might get you a hundred bucks, nearly half the cost of an Audi replacement.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would replace the battery it shouldnt be that low, you could stop a auto zone and have them test it.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the replies.... Based on the testing and the date of manufacture on battery i wound up replacing.

Starts up no issues now....!