Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

10k miles on the TDI....

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 10k miles on the TDI....

So after 10k miles on my TDI, what can I say?? It is a great vehicle that offers great performance!

What would I fix? Rear seat is a louder than I would have expected while cruising on the highway. Cup holders...seriously. Bose stereo is typical Bose; no highs, all lows, must be bose. Standard 19"s that come on the TDI are the same 19"s from the 2.0T A6. Come on Audi!

Pros - The LED headlamps are great! Trunk can take anything...seriously...anything! The MMI system plays everything!

The rear facing baby seat (Recaro Performance Ride) fits OK behind the passenger seat. Could be better...say if Audi brought the "L" model to the US from China!

Fuel efficiency, as reported in the Road Trip App -

300 Gallons consumed (on the nose!!?)
33 MPG at pump average
653 miles/tank average
$3.62/gal avg
.10/mile average
DIS error is 5.5% from long-term indicated to actual

Today...51.5 MPG driving to post!

Name:  IMG_2327_zps04edeb9e.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  93.2 KB

Oh and totally off topic...Amber Tail Lamps. According to the A6 SSP, the tail lamps on the North American Market are adhering to the SAE standard. When I spoke with SAE they said that manufactures adhering to SAE standards do so on a "strictly voluntary" basis. So then I looked up the NHTSA Administration, and according to FMVSS rule #108, turn signal color must be red or amber. According to NHTSA studies conducted, Amber turn signals are safer than red ones.

So the question...why would Audi voluntary install a product that has been shown to be less safe??
Old 09-29-2014, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoahWeb

So the question...why would Audi voluntary install a product that has been shown to be less safe??
IMO when nearly the entire lamp blinks it is pretty hard to not see it, or think its something else. Also, IIRC the amber tailights are just a line and not a squarish design like we have.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to NHTSA studies conducted, Amber turn signals are safer than red ones. So the question...why would Audi voluntary install a product that has been shown to be less safe??
Manufacturers are skimping on the Amber LEDs as it saves them money. They can just use the available red LEDs from brake lights and remain compliant with local laws. Not only Audi but BMW, MB , etc are all going this route in US because of this stupid clause. May be they save 8 cents per LED. C'mon Germans, please have some self respect.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

NoahWeb - With 12k miles on our A7 TDI, I agree with "epic mix of performance and mileage!".
What is the E1 display on the instrument cluster above the "start-stop not available" symbol? Is it the gear and if yes how did you manage to display it?
Old 10-06-2014, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by perlfather
NoahWeb - With 12k miles on our A7 TDI, I agree with "epic mix of performance and mileage!".
What is the E1 display on the instrument cluster above the "start-stop not available" symbol? Is it the gear and if yes how did you manage to display it?
I enabled the "efficiency" mode though VAG-COM. "E" for efficiency, "S" for dynamic, "D" for Auto

The start/stop not available icon, I had pulled over to take the photo and for what ever requirement not being met (Oil temp, A/C load, regen, etc), the car decided not to activate the start/stop and displayed the correct icon.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Comfy
Manufacturers are skimping on the Amber LEDs as it saves them money. They can just use the available red LEDs from brake lights and remain compliant with local laws. Not only Audi but BMW, MB , etc are all going this route in US because of this stupid clause. May be they save 8 cents per LED. C'mon Germans, please have some self respect.
I don't agree. On every European Audi sold, they are Amber.

In the Self-Study for the C7 A6's, Audi states that this is due to SAE requirements. SAE says their requirements are voluntary only.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by perlfather
Big plus 1!
Old 10-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't agree. On every European Audi sold, they are Amber. In the Self-Study for the C7 A6's, Audi states that this is due to SAE requirements. SAE says their requirements are voluntary only.
Exactly my point. In EU they mandate amber lights and every automaker complies with it. In US it's only optional. Therefore many of them go the cheaper route and skimp on Amber LEDs and use brake lights instead (which are present anyway). I hope you are understanding what I'm trying to say.
My question is why do supposedly luxury automakers such as the big three Germans try to be cheapskates when it comes to Amber lights.
Why can't they make it at least an option ( let's say Euro style tail lamps ....$$).