Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2016 A6 cannot add manual contact

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2016 A6 cannot add manual contact

Has anyone experienced this? I'm following the guide, and it says to go to the telephone> Directory> New Contact, yet this "New Contact" selection doesn't exist.

I've gone as far to save a navigation address and i don't see an option to save a number..
now the operation manual for the MMI plus does say 11.2014 so it's quite possible that the 2016 models just uses the phone contacts.
Attached Images  

Last edited by djjuice; 08-25-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

It's been awhile since I entered one manually. Have you tried scrolling down to the end of the list to see if it's there? Or under Settings?
Old 08-25-2015, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
It's been awhile since I entered one manually. Have you tried scrolling down to the end of the list to see if it's there? Or under Settings?
nothing there, it's present on my older 2012 A4. the manual shows a picture but it's date from 2014 so I think its just a software change...
Old 08-26-2015, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

On my car with the RMC MMI system you can still add a new contact, option is below the "Find Contact" in the Directory screen. I wonder if Audi has decided to drop the option because it is proving increasingly hard to ensure correct mapping of data from the MMI system to the variety of different phone devices ansd version releases within phone platfoms. Easier to jsut get the user to add the new contact directly on the phone.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by John Simcox
On my car with the RMC MMI system you can still add a new contact, option is below the "Find Contact" in the Directory screen. I wonder if Audi has decided to drop the option because it is proving increasingly hard to ensure correct mapping of data from the MMI system to the variety of different phone devices ansd version releases within phone platfoms. Easier to jsut get the user to add the new contact directly on the phone.
John, I could be wrong (and often am) but I thought that any manually entered contact into the directory would not transfer back to a phone.
In any case, I've always thought that directory entries were somewhat confusing to the user what with "privste", "business" and whatnot so it's not surprising that Audi decided to drop the feature.

Plus, as you said, with today's smart phones it's so much easier to add a contact to your phone and let it transfer to the MMI. I suspect the original MMI Directory was designed for a time when most people had "dumb" phones.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

John, I could be wrong (and often am) but I thought that any manually entered contact into the directory would not transfer back to a phone.
In any case, I've always thought that directory entries were somewhat confusing to the user what with "privste", "business" and whatnot so it's not surprising that Audi decided to drop the feature.

Plus, as you said, with today's smart phones it's so much easier to add a contact to your phone and let it transfer to the MMI. I suspect the original MMI Directory was designed for a time when most people had "dumb" phones.
im totally fine with it being smart phone only, the real goal was to see if I could add a picture of a user if I manually added a contact. There is also the option to import via my audi, yet there is no place to add contacts on the my audi page.

I really think this is a result of a manual that needs to be updated.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

Likewise I could be wrong as I do not think I have ever tried to add a new contact from the car. I agree the MMI is confusing and I do not understand why you need to make a new contact from the existing contact so you can use it as a Navigation destination. I end up not bothering and enter the address manually into the destination field. Roll on the C8 when we will get proper Apple and Android integration, as being introduced on the new Q7 and A4