A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Help with timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with timing belt

Hi, I'm new here. I've got a 1998 Audi A6 2.8L. 154000 miles on it... I was driving it in a 25mph zone and it quit running on me. Towed it home and took off the timing covers, the belt has partially slipped off on the passenger side and there are 4 teeth gone on the driver's side.
Do you think the valves ect are still okay? The motor still turns over with the starter, just won't fire. I'm hoping I can get by with replacing just the belt, tensioners, and pulleys.
Thanks for any help ahead of time.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:01 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Nice oil leaks. Be sure you do all the cam related seals too.

I bet you bent 6 exhaust valves on the side when the belt slipped...but you might get lucky. Stop cranking the engine over before create a problem on the other side. Us the timing belt tools to reset the timing when you do the job!
Old 09-11-2014, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by thatslifekid
Hi, I'm new here. I've got a 1998 Audi A6 2.8L. 154000 miles on it... I was driving it in a 25mph zone and it quit running on me. Towed it home and took off the timing covers, the belt has partially slipped off on the passenger side and there are 4 teeth gone on the driver's side.
Do you think the valves ect are still okay? The motor still turns over with the starter, just won't fire. I'm hoping I can get by with replacing just the belt, tensioners, and pulleys.
Thanks for any help ahead of time.
Before you waste any money on doing a timing belt service pull the plugs on the engine and scope the combustion chambers with an eye to bent valves. You may not wish to do the timing service if you have to pull the heads and replace valves or replace the motor.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Before you waste any money on doing a timing belt service pull the plugs on the engine and scope the combustion chambers with an eye to bent valves. You may not wish to do the timing service if you have to pull the heads and replace valves or replace the motor.
Not to mention the decision of do i even invest anything on a 16 year old car .. thats seen better days.

is that the 30v engine ?
Old 09-11-2014, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag
Not to mention the decision of do i even invest anything on a 16 year old car .. thats seen better days.

is that the 30v engine ?
Well now, where is the spirit for DIY audi repair with that tone...

Seriously though, the OP should really think if it is worth the repair. Parts and Labor will be less than or around 1k (likely less) if you do a thorough job.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by tester123
Well now, where is the spirit for DIY audi repair with that tone...

Seriously though, the OP should really think if it is worth the repair. Parts and Labor will be less than or around 1k (likely less) if you do a thorough job.
Sadly our car values are falling so fast ( probably bottomed out by now ) , it is really something that has to be considered for a timing belt snap. For about 1-2 % of owners they could repair that damage , and im being generous at that , but to do that would you pull the heads off without sending them off to a machine shop ? and then the dollars mount.

I'd do it on my Porsche in a second obviously and that is 35 or so years old, but my audi ? naw..

so it is fair for us to have owners consider it no ?
Old 09-13-2014, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with 4D4. Stop cranking it. Do a leak down test and see if it holds air. If it does, you may not have much of a problem and doing a timing belt job (which is about due anyway) will get your car going again.

If it leaks....you bent valves and then things get more intensive/expensive.