A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

A6 vs A7: why the big $ gap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 06:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 vs A7: why the big $ gap?

've been eying the A6 TDI as my next car. After test driving, I was totally sold but I'm waiting on a 2016. Yesterday I was standing next to a red A7 and it just looks fantastic. I ran home to spec one and it's about $10K more than the A6. Isn't it basically a fast back A6? What am I missing?
Old 10-28-2014, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FOUR FLUSHER
Yesterday I was standing next to a red A7 and it just looks fantastic.
This is the reason they can charge $10K more.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Exclusivity - and they make a LOT fewer A7's vs the A6 so the cost is going to be higher also.

I still have to look close to determine the difference between the A6 and A4 - not an issue with the A7.

If you want the best bang for the buck - get an A6.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FOUR FLUSHER
've been eying the A6 TDI as my next car. After test driving, I was totally sold but I'm waiting on a 2016. Yesterday I was standing next to a red A7 and it just looks fantastic. I ran home to spec one and it's about $10K more than the A6. Isn't it basically a fast back A6? What am I missing?
I thought the same thing when i started looking and quickly came to realize that I don't care based on the following: 1. The rear end of the A6 is less than appealing to me and the rear end of the A7 is gorgeous. 2. The roofline of the A6 is boring with the shape of the third window being too triangular for my taste. The roofline and shoulder line of the A7 cannot be beat. I love the frameless doors and simplicity of the entire three window roofline. Many others have copied this design, Toyota Avalon, New Chrysler 200, Ford Fusion, Tesla S to a degree, but none are executed as brilliantly as the A7 design. The Toyota, Chrysler and Ford all have framed doors so the metal trim is cut and the B Pillar is cut, the Tesla has frameless doors like Audi, but the Audi shape is still more appealing. I suppose, these are some of the reasons that the red A7 you stood next to looked fantastic. 3. The versatility of the hatchback and all the cargo space it provides adds tremendous value for me.

I would bet the A7 is costlier to produce based solely on the complexity of the hatch design and mechanics behind it but not to the tune of the almost $10,000 price difference.

http://www.spectacularvehicles.com/w.../Audi-A7-6.jpg

Click on this link and then click again on the photo and study this picture of the roofline, the frameless doors, the shape of the rear door glass, the third window, and you will know why you think the A7 is fantastic looking. Most of any car's beauty in the car's profile is concentrated in this exact area of design. You will notice that Audi never places two pieces of glass in the rear doors like BMW does and many others. Consequently, the rear door glass does not roll down more than half way in this model due to space limitations within the door. To me that sacrifice is worth the beauty attained.

Last edited by donaldp; 10-28-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by donaldp
I thought the same thing when i started looking and quickly came to realize that I don't care based on the following: 1. The rear end of the A6 is less than appealing to me and the rear end of the A7 is gorgeous. 2. The roofline of the A6 is boring with the shape of the third window being too triangular for my taste. The roofline and shoulder line of the A7 cannot be beat. I love the frameless doors and simplicity of the entire three window roofline. Many others have copied this design, Toyota Avalon, New Chrysler 200, Ford Fusion, Tesla S to a degree, but none are executed as brilliantly as the A7 design. The Toyota, Chrysler and Ford all have framed doors so the metal trim is cut and the B Pillar is cut, the Tesla has frameless doors like Audi, but the Audi shape is still more appealing. I suppose, these are some of the reasons that the red A7 you stood next to looked fantastic. 3. The versatility of the hatchback and all the cargo space it provides adds tremendous value for me.

I would bet the A7 is costlier to produce based solely on the complexity of the hatch design and mechanics behind it but not to the tune of the almost $10,000 price difference.
+1 for all of the above.

And, still receive weekly compliments on my 2012 A7 after 2.5 years and 36K miles.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Phoenix1
I still have to look close to determine the difference between the A6 and A4 - not an issue with the A7.
+1
The A4/A6 was never on my wish list due to their subdued styling. The A7 caught my eye and brought me to Audi.

Originally Posted by BasicSlvr
And, still receive weekly compliments on my 2012 A7 after 2.5 years and 36K miles.
Same here. And I still find myself staring backing over my shoulder when I'm walking away from my car thinking: damn!
Old 10-29-2014, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Tman007
+1
The A4/A6 was never on my wish list due to their subdued styling. The A7 caught my eye and brought me to Audi.

Same here. And I still find myself staring backing over my shoulder when I'm walking away from my car thinking: damn!
+1. My wife and I love wagons. After 18 years with a Volvo 855R, it is/was time so it was very sad to find out the S4/S6 Avants were "out of our network" here in the US. So we wrote off Audi as a possible replacement until we took a close look at the A7. For a car introduced back in 2012, it still looks very fresh and we now await arrival of our Glacier White Metallic with Black Optics due late-November.

Can't wait.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BasicSlvr

And, still receive weekly compliments...
+1

Although only had my car about 6 months. TDI blend of performance and efficiency is a bonus for an awesome looking car.

Longtime A6 Avant owner; A7 trunk can't hold boxy items like a wagon, but the head turning styling is what you get for the trade off.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by donaldp
Many others have copied this design,... Tesla S to a degree, but none are executed as brilliantly as the A7 design. The Tesla has frameless doors like Audi, but the Audi shape is still more appealing.
Eloquently stated & spot on, donaldp!
I made a nice chunk of cash with Tesla stock last year, had a deposit on an S, but chose the A7 prestige sport instead. Fuel efficiency/cost was not a factor since I work from home. Not to mention the Tesla led headlights/front grille is nasty AF.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

I was going to get an A6 and then they pulled an A7 onto the lot and I fell immediately in love and bought it. The styling of the A7 is what sealed the deal, it's the best looking car available today bar none. A coworker of mine calls the design "perfect" and I have to agree.

Think about this, how many people would comment on how your A6 looks? With my A7 I get compliments all the time.