A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Services and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 04:20 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Services and warranty

Hi guys, I know this has been asked before and I know the answer, the service due indicator reset can only be made via VAGCOM or the dealer will reset it when the car is serviced.
My problem is last year I was reluctant to do my 25k service due to time (one year) and with less than 4k miles driven since the 15k service, anyways I did it and because it was a minor service it was not that expensive, only an oil change and some inexpensive stuff.
But now, after another year and only 2,700 miles more on the odometer I have again the service due (give me your money) alert.
I asked the dealer and they quoted me 450 for the 35 k major service which is an oil change and some really basic stuff ( actually the difference in labor between a 15k and a 35k major services is 50 dollars for "power steering fluid, check, add if necessary" which in my book is a rip off)
I know my car doesn't have a single leak and I can change my own pollen filter with 30 bucks, I do not require the air filter included in the service because I have an INJEN intake.
Also I can't believe a synthetic oil went bad after 2,700 miles only because one year has passed, I have read things about moisture, etc but honestly I do not believe it, and even if it is true in Southern California my car is not exposed to harsh conditions of heat, cold or humidity.

My warranty expires next year, I might have 6-8months left, and I am planning to perform all the fixes, repairs and updates that require my car to be connected to the Audi computer right before my warranty expires (for the ones who don't understand why is because my car is tuned and I don't want to be flagged TD1, but when my warranty is about to expire I wouldn't care anymore)

So here comes finally the question, assuming I ignore the service due alert or I reset it via VAGCOM, does my warranty depends to have all the service advised by Audi on time and to be performed at the dealer? Can they reject a warranty repair because I skipped my 35k mile major service (I have 21k) when it was due?
Not trying to be cheap here but honestly I am sure the oil is in perfect shape, if the car were out of warranty already I know for a fact I wouldn't do the service due to time.

Last edited by feralc; 09-23-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by feralc
Hi guys, I know this has been asked before and I know the answer, the service due indicator reset can only be made via VAGCOM or the dealer will reset it when the car is serviced.
My problem is last year I was reluctant to do my 25k service due to time (one year) and with less than 4k miles driven since the 15k service, anyways I did it and because it was a minor service it was not that expensive, only an oil change and some inexpensive stuff.
But now, after another year and only 2,700 miles more on the odometer I have again the service due (give me your money) alert.
I asked the dealer and they quoted me 450 for the 35 k major service which is an oil change and some really basic stuff ( actually the difference in labor between a 15k and a 35k major services is 50 dollars for "power steering fluid, check, add if necessary" which in my book is a rip off)
I know my car doesn't have a single leak and I can change my own pollen filter with 30 bucks, I do not require the air filter included in the service because I have an INJEN intake.
Also I can't believe a synthetic oil went bad after 2,700 miles only because one year has passed, I have read things about moisture, etc but honestly I do not believe it, and even if it is true in Southern California my car is not exposed to harsh conditions of heat, cold or humidity.

My warranty expires next year, I might have 6-8months left, and I am planning to perform all the fixes, repairs and updates that require my car to be connected to the Audi computer right before my warranty expires (for the ones who don't understand why is because my car is tuned and I don't want to be flagged TD1, but when my warranty is about to expire I wouldn't care anymore)

So here comes finally the question, assuming I ignore the service due alert or I reset it via VAGCOM, does my warranty depends to have all the service advised by Audi on time and to be performed at the dealer? Can they reject a warranty repair because I skipped my 35k mile major service (I have 21k) when it was due?
Not trying to be cheap here but honestly I am sure the oil is in perfect shape, if the car were out of warranty already I know for a fact I wouldn't do the service due to time.
Your warranty isn't conditional on the maintenance services to be performed by an Audi service facility, as long as they are performed.

The recommended maintenance is xxx distance driven OR a particular time interval, whichever comes first.

So if you do the fluid changes yourself when due (in your case going by the time interval as you drive very little), reset the indicator with VAGCOM and keep the bills for the purchases (to be able to prove that maintenance was done at the recommended intervals), your warranty will not be in question.

Also remember that all of the above applies only to the lubricated components. Warranty on all other parts (electrical, suspension etc.) applies even if the maintenance items aren't performed at all (which certainly is not recommended).
Old 09-23-2014, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I agree that Audi is specific that the scheduled maintenance as stated in the Maintenance and Warranty booklet be performed by an authorized dealer, independent repair shop or yourself every 10K miles or 12 months whichever comes first to maintain the warranty validity. It does say to retain invoices for service or parts if not performed by an Audi dealer. However, after reading the booklet cover to cover once again, I could not find anything specifying a warranty requirement exception for non-lubricated components. That being the case, it's possible that Audi could be within their legal right to deny a warranty claim for any issue if the maintenance was not performed when and as specified per the schedule.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fkaufman
Your warranty isn't conditional on the maintenance services to be performed by an Audi service facility, as long as they are performed.

The recommended maintenance is xxx distance driven OR a particular time interval, whichever comes first.

So if you do the fluid changes yourself when due (in your case going by the time interval as you drive very little), reset the indicator with VAGCOM and keep the bills for the purchases (to be able to prove that maintenance was done at the recommended intervals), your warranty will not be in question.

Also remember that all of the above applies only to the lubricated components. Warranty on all other parts (electrical, suspension etc.) applies even if the maintenance items aren't performed at all (which certainly is not recommended).
so the recommended services must be done for the warranty to stay valid, and as you said we are talking only of the lubricated components, which is basically an oil change because what the 35k "major" service is basically a quick check of levels and topping up, nothing that I believe is worth 293.75 dollars, which at current labor rates I doubt they take two hours to do the following:

Labor Description
Battery - Check for damage or corrosion, replace if necessary.
Brake System - check for damage, leaks, pad thickness, fluid level
Cooling System - check level, add if necessary
Cowl Drain - check for obstruction, clean if necessary
Doors - lubricate door hinge mechanisms
Drive Shaft Boots - check
Engine Compartment - check for leaks
Engine On Board Diagnostics - check fault memory
Exhaust System - check for damage, leaks
Horn - Check Function
Lights - check all lights, check headlight adjustment
Power Steering Fluid - check, add if necessary (this is the only difference with a 15k service)
Road Test - check
Service Reminder Display - reset
Snow Screen for Air Cleaner - clean
Tires and Spare - check for wear and damage, check pressure
Transmission and final drive - check for leaks
Underbody - check for damage and leaks
Wiper Arm Pivot Points - lubricate
Wiper/Washer/Headlight Washer - check adjustment and function, add fluid if necessary
Dust and Pollen Filter - replace
Engine Oil Filter - replace
Replace Oil Plug
Replace Oil Plug Seal
Synthetic Engine Oil - change
Total Labor $293.75

I understand there are people who only put gas in their cars and they don't even open the hood between services every year, but for a "normal" person who appreciates his car, most of these service things (besides the oil service) are things you do pretty often or at least you notice when something is not right.

(By the way I really doubt they lubricate wiper pivot points and/or door hinges at the service)

Anyways I might do the service at the dealer so if they find anything at the "thorough" inspection they fix it under warranty before my warranty is over.