A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Who is not happy with the steering wheel software update?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aquarian
The electric steering updates were involved with many other models as well. You can't simply group A7's and A6's together. If you think all A7 owners will read the stuff in the A6 section, you are wrong.

I have already read numerous posts, if not all, from the A6 section and have even posted a reply https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...teering+update which nobody answered/replied. Is this that serious when I decided to start another thread within the A7 when nobody cares about the A6 steering update anymore?
Thanks, aquarian, for starting this thread. As a newbie subscribed to the A7 forum, I would have never even known about this issue (we don't search the archives for what we don't know is an issue - ignorance is bliss...)

Just checked the service record on the preowned 2012 A7 that I recently purchased (Audi CPO), and sure enough they did the "48K8 Update" on the J500 control module before re-selling it. Hopefully Audi comes out with a fix, because I too would prefer a firmer feel in Dynamic mode.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the heads up

I like my steering stiff, in fact I'm on dynamic all the time and it could even be a bit firmer IMHO

I just dropped off my car for 15k service, where they offered the SW upgrade. I declined based on this thread as I've not had issues with the steering and prefer the firmer response

Thanks again, I would have been disappointed with a softer steering. Hopefully they'll come up with an improvement to current SW to maintain the firmness of the steering

-K

Ps. BTW, without this thread I would not have found feedback on the upgrade and would have taken it not knowing any better. I was aware of the issue, but not the feedback on the solution. I'm glad the OP opened this thread
Old 05-16-2014, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tman007
Thanks, aquarian, for starting this thread.
Originally Posted by Bmore

Ps. BTW, without this thread I would not have found feedback on the upgrade and would have taken it not knowing any better. I was aware of the issue, but not the feedback on the solution. I'm glad the OP opened this thread
+1
Old 05-16-2014, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

No problem, guys.

A little feedback after driving with the updated software for a week:

The steering wheel feel is indeed lighter than before, but I think it's mostly at slower speeds. At highway speeds, the steering firms up to "almost" like before. There is still distinction between the modes and I drive exclusively in the dynamic. When taking a turn at lower speeds, the steering wheel would spring back if you let go. Prior the update, it was less pronounce.

At parking lot speeds, I can just use one finger to turn the wheel with ease.

When I had my 15k service done, the dealer loaned me a new A8 and the steering wheel was so much heavier than my A7 even prior the update. I can't understand the huge discrepancy between the 2 models.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Should I get the update, see issues below

I have a ? and possible problem. Due for my 15k service in a few weeks. I have noticed for the past months that between 40 and 65 mph my dynamic set up seems to vary between comfort with loose steering and out of nowhere will then go to dynamic (which is my prefered mode). though i can still feel the road somewhat, when i push the car around flat or reverse-banked curves, the only way i know it can handle it at speed is because i have driven it when i can feel that same curve. from what i've seen only in the A7 forum is that post updating, steering is consistent which is better than the inconsistencies i've been experiencing for the past few months.

Would appreciate any feedback as i may be able to opt in/out of that particular update from those dynamic drivers here and of course my favorite person from the outskirts of bean town .

No problem, guys.

A little feedback after driving with the updated software for a week:

The steering wheel feel is indeed lighter than before, but I think it's mostly at slower speeds. At highway speeds, the steering firms up to "almost" like before. There is still distinction between the modes and I drive exclusively in the dynamic. When taking a turn at lower speeds, the steering wheel would spring back if you let go. Prior the update, it was less pronounce.

At parking lot speeds, I can just use one finger to turn the wheel with ease.

When I had my 15k service done, the dealer loaned me a new A8 and the steering wheel was so much heavier than my A7 even prior the update. I can't understand the huge discrepancy between the 2 models.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

UPDATE:

Now it's been about a month since the update and I can surely say that the software is dynamic and adaptive. The steering feel has firmed up a lot and nothing like what it used to be post-software. I do believe that the steering firmness/heavyness is just like what I had before. The dynamic mode, which I exclusively drive, is heavy now.

Toady I switched to Comfort and it sure felt like what I experienced post-software update. Switching back to Dynamic made me smile - it's nice and heavy, just like how I wanted it.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Aquarian, did you notice the change all at once or do you suspect it was a gradual change? Do you drive your A7 daily?
I had a dealer accidentally update mine yesterday even though I told them not too.... I am so upset.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I drive my A7 daily and it was more of a gradual change until all of a sudden it hit me, that it became firm. I just talked to my R8 tech who happens to be my A7 tech about this situation and he told me that I wasn't the only one to feel this way.

Give it some time, it will firm up.

Originally Posted by JRomulus
Aquarian, did you notice the change all at once or do you suspect it was a gradual change? Do you drive your A7 daily?
I had a dealer accidentally update mine yesterday even though I told them not too.... I am so upset.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I drive my A7 daily and it was more of a gradual change until all of a sudden it hit me, that it became firm. I just talked to my R8 tech who happens to be my A7 tech about this situation and he told me that I wasn't the only one to feel this way.

Give it some time, it will firm up.
So maybe there is hope.. thanks.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It has been a several days and I think I like how the car's handled now. As I give similar amount of steering input, I feel the car reacts more agile on high speed than before.
I also feel the less understeer in highway speed (~80mph) and on the street(~40mph).
Is it only me feel this way??

Last edited by dreamerstudio; 07-29-2014 at 12:57 PM.