Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Audi 2012 S5 - Loose steering

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi 2012 S5 - Loose steering

I bought a 2012 S5 on 10/15. I love the car, but the steering has changed this week. The steering had a nice, tight feel. On this past Tuesday night, the steering started feeling "loose" and there is a lot of play in the steering wheel, especially at a stop. I can turn the wheel right and left and the car does not react like it did before. When I apply the brakes while driving, the steering wheel feels very loose and I can turn the wheel side to side with no response to the tires.

I am driving the car in auto mode for the driver select. The only thing I did differently was to use the paddle shifters on Tuesday night. I would not think that would affect the steering at all, but it is the first time I used them, so it made me wonder if it changed something.

Does anyone have an idea what could have caused this?
Old 11-24-2011, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

No idea at all...but from the way you describe it, I would make an appointment to have it checked out ASAP. Under no circumstances should your steering be non-responsive.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mpk444
I bought a 2012 S5 on 10/15. I love the car, but the steering has changed this week. The steering had a nice, tight feel. On this past Tuesday night, the steering started feeling "loose" and there is a lot of play in the steering wheel, especially at a stop. I can turn the wheel right and left and the car does not react like it did before. When I apply the brakes while driving, the steering wheel feels very loose and I can turn the wheel side to side with no response to the tires.

I am driving the car in auto mode for the driver select. The only thing I did differently was to use the paddle shifters on Tuesday night. I would not think that would affect the steering at all, but it is the first time I used them, so it made me wonder if it changed something.

Bring it in to the dealer ASAP. Driving in tiptronic mode will not do that. The only thing I can think of is that you may have the car (or it may have adjusted with auto)to a comfort setting for the steering. Try putting it in dynamic mode and see if it still feels loose.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DavidRS4
Bring it in to the dealer ASAP. Driving in tiptronic mode will not do that. The only thing I can think of is that you may have the car (or it may have adjusted with auto)to a comfort setting for the steering. Try putting it in dynamic mode and see if it still feels loose.
I agree with DavidRS4, and would get your car to the dealer quick. The Dynamic mode test should tell you a lot as stearing in that mode is quite a bit firmer than in Auto or Comfort.

Good luck!
Old 11-29-2011, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You sure you're not in 'comfort' mode. The 'dynamic' mode is tight, but for long drives I put the steering on 'comfort' mode and it less tight. I suspect you must be in 'comfort' mode.

Originally Posted by mpk444

Old 11-30-2011, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for all of the input and advice. I have made an appt with my local Audi dealer. I am driving in auto mode. I switched to dynamic mode and the steering felt tighter at higher speeds. Steering still feels loose at lower speeds and at a stop. When I hit the brakes, the steering feels looser and the car sort of turns to a side slightly, so I have to correct the other way. May not be a big deal, but this is definitely different than the first several weeks i had the car.