A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi Design Trends: Prologue concept from LA show per Autoweek (lots of pics too)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default Audi Design Trends: Prologue concept from LA show per Autoweek (lots of pics too)

Self explanatory. See: The LA Auto Show Prologue Concept is how your next Audi will look | Autoweek
Old 11-19-2014, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default LA Times article on same

Somewhat less complete, but another writer: Audi unveils new design direction in Prologue concept car - LA Times
Old 11-19-2014, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a fighter jet! Wheels are fugly as sin. I came here for the coffee, though.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default From nautical to aircraft

Current D4 shift handle: Right off the Yamaha control from my 2000 era run about, but I guess it sells big in their #1 market for new A8's--stereotype geezers in FL. But heck, they do spin off those low mileage W12's with some regularity. Or, then there is Jim Rockford's mid 70's Camaro image of the same...

Yes, if this is what they have in mind looks like some stealth aircraft thing. Of course if you know stealth aircraft designs, many of them (post SR 71) don't seem particularly aero and basically crash in seconds if the fly by wire auto stuff isn't constantly computer controlling it. Weird analogies at secondary levels.

Meantime, in the world turned upside down, first thing that came to my mind for whatever reason on the front was Lexus. Or, maybe something like a current ...Camaro. Who's copying whom? If I were Art in Engineering, I would be thinking less German Bauhaus or Japanese edgy look, and more toward the curvy Jag, Italian, Telsa, etc. side. But it's only a concept one so far, and those harder edges usually come off the production ready ones.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cre8value
Wheels are fugly as sin.
You can say that again !
At least they aren't as ginormous as in the concept drawings.

I was going to buy a 2015 today and am now wavering since seeing this...
Gorgeous angular concept, which will no doubt make the suppository shape lovers cringe
Old 11-19-2014, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

MP -> I was thinking Jag when looking at the rear end myself. And now that you mention Camaro, I think you're right on...

Yes, a lot of angles. These things, much like 3D glasses in movie theaters and swing music, go in and out of style every couple of decades or so.

I don't mind the big girl D3 S8 slopes. She's curvy, but in all the right places. Timeless?

Oh, and those wheels are ugly. Good Lord.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default I do see some Lincoln design in it somewhere.... Mark X?

The front and rear are no longer Audi's uniqueness...

Cheers,

Louis
Old 11-19-2014, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Look Familar
Old 11-19-2014, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
But it's only a concept one so far, and those harder edges usually come off the production ready ones.
I really hope so. I am more of a suppository shape lover. I don't need my car to scare people in traffic. I do that myself.

In my opinion, only relevant if I win a lottery, they have a similar problem as BMW had with 7's couple generations ago. Designers finished BMW's front end and went home. Janitor finished the rest. Audi guys started from the back. Front was done by carpenter hired to fix some furniture around.

If they loose senseless trunk lid shape and may be even those Camaro hips rear would be nice. All front is on the line with those ridiculous wheels. Way to big grill (Aston Martin on steroids) just spoiling aerodynamics, some quasi aero elements... They have to realize that bully design era is coming to its end and be leaders in a new old smooth trend.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

For all of you guys busting Art's *****, he retired a long time ago... Truth in Engineering is the new slogan. It doesn't tell you whether Audi found a good truth or bad one though

Anyways, I heard they are still using A4 bushings for this one :P

Quick Reply: Audi Design Trends: Prologue concept from LA show per Autoweek (lots of pics too)