A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BI Xenon Bulbs/ Repair Shops/ Stealership

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thanks....

I just watched a youtube video someone did on them. NICCCEEEE

Originally Posted by mishar
Old 10-15-2014, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Has anyone change there head light themselves. I've searched and I haven't find a clear cut answer/ example how to DIY.

I recall onesite saying turn the wheels and go through the wheel well.
I've all so seen on a fourm saying just remove the whole headlight assembly.

If so can you point me in the right direction...
Old 10-15-2014, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

To replace HID's you have to take your wheels off. Just turning them won't give you enough room to work. Next, the wheel well liners (front parts) have to come off. That will give you access to the back of lights.

To take lights off you have to remove bumper cover and to do so all above comes first, plus a bunch of screws more. Art (of engineering) has his mystical ways.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default GRRRRRRRRR......

Thanks.... I'm really not looking forward to disassembling the front end of the car.... lol

Well since everything will be exsposed guess I'll update or upgrade all the lighting

Originally Posted by mishar
To replace HID's you have to take your wheels off. Just turning them won't give you enough room to work. Next, the wheel well liners (front parts) have to come off. That will give you access to the back of lights.

To take lights off you have to remove bumper cover and to do so all above comes first, plus a bunch of screws more. Art (of engineering) has his mystical ways.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 585 Likes on 490 Posts
Default +1 Once you have done the drill once/one side...

it won't seem very hard. 10 minutes to pull wheel from start--(floor) jack, bolts, etc.-- and maybe 10 more for the fender liner once you have the hang of it. 30 min max and you should be pulling out the bulb if you know the steps. Bumper + headlight pull is much greater, so don't go that way. Might take you 30 min plus at the fender liner step the first time as you look for the various fasteners, including a few more metal ones near the fender edge. You may also get hung up on how the bulb igniter goes back into the housing at the end too; there is a safety interlock involving the wiring connector so be sure to put it in unplugged first. Also, be sure to test bulb w/ switch before buttoning up liner again. Several have not done that apparently, and only found out too late the connection or interlock at the igniter/bulb wasn't actually done right.

Make sure to buy the plastic push pins that hold in the fender liner to the body in various places, since they are a pain to try to salvage and many break or are screwed up/deformed w/ time anyway. 3-4 per side minimum. I just punch the center plastic lock pin they use straight through now, and pry them out. Big time waste for trivia parts price otherwise. Chance to buy/clean up any belly pan issues where the plastic screws meet the fender liner too, if you are missing any of them. Belly pan does not have to come off, just be undone at the fender fastener area.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-15-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Awesome, thanks for everything. Especially the tip about the plastic fasteners

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
it won't seem very hard. 10 minutes to pull wheel from start--(floor) jack, bolts, etc.-- and maybe 10 more for the fender liner once you have the hang of it. 30 min max and you should be pulling out the bulb if you know the steps. Bumper + headlight pull is much greater, so don't go that way. Might take you 30 min plus at the fender liner step the first time as you look for the various fasteners, including a few more metal ones near the fender edge. You may also get hung up on how the bulb igniter goes back into the housing at the end too; there is a safety interlock involving the wiring connector so be sure to put it in unplugged first. Also, be sure to test bulb w/ switch before buttoning up liner again. Several have not done that apparently, and only found out too late the connection or interlock at the igniter/bulb wasn't actually done right.

Make sure to buy the plastic push pins that hold in the fender liner to the body in various places, since they are a pain to try to salvage and many break or are screwed up/deformed w/ time anyway. 3-4 per side minimum. I just punch the center plastic lock pin they use straight through now, and pry them out. Big time waste for trivia parts price otherwise. Chance to buy/clean up any belly pan issues where the plastic screws meet the fender liner too, if you are missing any of them. Belly pan does not have to come off, just be undone at the fender fastener area.