A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple issues on 06 A8l

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 04:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple issues on 06 A8l

My tag lights do not work.

When I bought the car, both of them were blown. The screw on the driver side was stripped so I couldn't change it. The lens on the passenger side was broken in such a way that it was hanging on but I was able to remove it to replace the bulb, and that one worked until it fell off on the highway.

I have since replace both lenses and bulbs with new equipment. Vagcom is only saying something about no/low voltage. My garage can't seem to figure anything out (they are the ones with the vagcom). I've pulled and reinstalled as many fuses as I can find related in any way shape or form to them. Any idea where or what to check?

I have an aftermarket DVD player installed in the car with LCD's in the headrests. For some reason I decided it was a good idea to reset the audio system to factory defaults at one point and now I do not have the aux input for the DVD player. I just got my garage to unlock the hidden green menu for me and I turned on the Aux inputs as the instructions I could find on youtube, but I still don't have an aux for the DVD player. Any hints or advice there?
Old 02-11-2016, 04:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also, what is this connector under the arm rests?

I feel like I've asked this question before, but I don't remember getting a good answer and I couldn't find my post where I asked.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty280z
also, what is this connector under the arm rests?

I feel like I've asked this question before, but I don't remember getting a good answer and I couldn't find my post where I asked.
That's a receiver for a phone cradle, before smartphones. I can't help you with your problems, other than to say that this should serve as a reminder to be careful with VCDS! Stay out of bootloader on the green menu!
Old 02-11-2016, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Connector under the arm rest was for a phone cradle. Its a bit generic so it could support different types of phones. (example) Audi Gen2 Cradle rSAP Adapter - A8 Parts Forum
Old 02-11-2016, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty280z
My tag lights do not work.

I have since replace both lenses and bulbs with new equipment. Vagcom is only saying something about no/low voltage. My garage can't seem to figure anything out (they are the ones with the vagcom). I've pulled and reinstalled as many fuses as I can find related in any way shape or form to them. Any idea where or what to check?
Since you mention that VCDS / Vagcom is not helping; Buy/acquire the wiring diagram for the car and trace the license plate light wiring to the control module they are wired to. Find the fault or verify they are soundly connected. Bypass the connector at the socket and use jumper leads to hardwire proper incandescent light bulbs. If they still don't illuminate, use standard automotive electrical system troubleshooting techniques to pinpoint the problem. If troubleshooting the garage did was proper and you can verify wiring; It points to the control module.

That said, with a ten year old vehicle, I'd consider tying into the tail light LED's and installing LED license plate lamps and be done with it. But, that's me. I usually don't Jury-Rig my A8L (2004) but this may be the fastest way to help you. It's your car, not mine.