A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The fun never ends... passenger floor is sopping wet

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Assuming most here are familiar with female genital anatomy;

Originally Posted by CWTech
I have found that the passenger side front sunroof drain is completely clogged. I'm on tempting to unclog it using lead to weed trimmer line. This is a pain in the ***.
The drains terminate in a somewhat vaginal fashion. Continuing with that analogy, the labia majora become stiff, and even when they are not clogged will not allow liquid to escape. Bite the bullet and remove the rear half of the fenderliner and cut those lips off to open the seal! Then vacuum! I think if anyone has seen the material VWAG uses to join tubes to sunroof drains, they'd run screaming from any pressure/ mechanical means of opening up that line!
Old 02-07-2015, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Plenum drains are just another Art's masterpiece. To clean them properly you can take out your HVAC fan or your engine and transmission. Sunroof drains end behind front wheels and in front of rear wheels, behind wheel liners. Fronts are accessible from above, but don't use compressor or you may disconnect hoses. To put them together roof liner has to come off. Rears are inaccessible from above.

This tread has nice pictures of those hoses.

Last edited by mishar; 02-07-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using the weed trimmer line and a lot of patience, I managed to clear the front drains without disassembling anything. Gonna test if the rears are flowing.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Plenum drains are just another Art's masterpiece. To clean them properly you can take out your HVAC fan or your engine and transmission....
Ha, As you know, many common Audi procedures frequently begin... "Step 1) Remove engine from the vehicle..."
Originally Posted by mishar
This tread has nice pictures of those hoses.
Thanks for that thread, Misha! It appears as though after removing the rear vanity mirrors one could almost access the connectors! Out to car to see what's under those suckers!

I think the entire connector tube has been wrapped in duct tape in some of those pics,, because the photos I have seen shows it to be a spongelike orangish material, like in my Passat. Trying to make one plastic do double duty as connector and anti-rattle results in neither working well.

CWTech, good job... if you haven't done so may I suggest rounding off the end or the weedeater line by melting with a flame?
Old 02-08-2015, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For anyone interested, here is the simple solution I came up with.

Used a simple pressure sprayer from Home Depot and some weed trimmer line.
The fun never ends... passenger floor is sopping wet-qgz8wpf.png

Started by disassembling the sprayer
The fun never ends... passenger floor is sopping wet-ejnhalv.png

I used the stiff plastic tube as a guide for the trimmer line, so that I could more easily insert it in the sunroof drain tube
The fun never ends... passenger floor is sopping wet-pvya7xl.png
The fun never ends... passenger floor is sopping wet-fhnv7vo.png

Using this I was able to clear most the blockage. The sprayer ended up working well for flushing the drains too. Since the grey plastic sprayer tube fits nearly perfect in the drain hole, I used hot, mildly soapy water to flush everything. I finished it off with a hot, fresh water rinse (2 gallons worth). All drains are now functioning well.

Last edited by CWTech; 02-08-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Good stuff

That's the be spray bottle I was talking about. Your use of the tube and line is quite good.

What I did was strip the trigger off the hose and then cut about three inches of the hose off.

I then fitted the piece of hose on the end of the plastic tube this then creates a nice seal for flushing the drain tubes with the hot water like you did.

I used the stiff plastic tube as a guide for the trimmer line, so that I could more easily insert it in the sunroof drain tube

Using this I was able to clear most the blockage. The sprayer ended up working well for flushing the drains too. Since the grey plastic sprayer tube fits nearly perfect in the drain hole, I used hot, mildly soapy water to flush everything. I finished it off with a hot, fresh water rinse (2 gallons worth). All drains are now functioning well.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Very creative and efficient way... Thanks

I do have some weed whacker line...
It was raining dogs and cats in the last few days... Tons of leaves were in the engine bay, luckily, no leaks.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 02-12-2015, 03:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Great invention. I took mine through a "touchless" car wash this week and then filled up. All four drains were dripping from the wash.
The volume of water draining from the front two was much greater. About double the size puddle. Is this normal?