A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood release wire snapped, hood closed

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 05:02 PM
JNA
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went in through the fender. Tried the long screwdriver to the latch. Thank you but I'm not taking a Sawsall to the car. If that's how the dealer does it, fine. I will get to hold the dealer responsible for any damage. I spoke with Audi corporate and they had a real hard time defending this design as being anything other than bad engineering. A case has been opened and I got the sense is I am NOT the first A8 owner to complain of this problem. I'd like to know how many other Audi's use this idiotic design! In any case I'll advise how the dealer gets the hood open.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:13 PM
JNA
Audiworld Junior Member

I should note, I have carefully considered the reciprocating saw method. It's not that I'm opposed to it but time constraints are setting in. I need this done. Keeping in mind this is a 2009 there is so little space available to get a screwdriver in there let alone a Sawsall. I've got an idea and will share it just as soon as I the hood open.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default I looked at the latches tonight, I don't even know how

anyone can get into anything if both of the hooks are locked. I looked at every which way, they really caged the latch well, no way to get in. I looked under the grill, I could put a coat hanger through only to the top of the radiator, the whole cables are TUBED all the way to the latches.

I need to make an emergency latch cable this weekend. The latch cable are so dinky thin. These macho mucho over powered yank will break it for sure.

Cheers,

Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 04-27-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

As far as the "idiotic design" goes; it is meant to deter theft & vandalism. Seems like a pretty good design if you ask me. I know many people that suffered from. stolen batteries in the pre inside hood latch days.

I know, the A8's battery is in the trunk/boot but you get the idea.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
This may help. Good luck.

"]
looks like I have to access and pull cable labelled 3 for driverside latch to release.
passenger side is releasing.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Funky
Thanks to you all i succeded with this,it was tight but possible!
how did you get your arm up there ?!

so you just yanked on the cable and it opened ?

I've got the same issue.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Funky
I will just write down how I got it fixed, I didn´t take any pictures unfortunately but I will try a simple instruction in case someone else got this fault – I am from Sweden so you must excuse if I use some strange words...

1, I Removed the wheel and the plastic that covered the xenon headlight etc.
2, I tried to reach the small black plastic box just above the xenon headlight, it was barely possible.
3, I was able to pull the whole box with pliers, and the hood opened.
4, I didn’t replace the complete wire, I was able to repair the broken one but I guess that a new wire is the best solution!

#3--pull the whole box

do you mean you grabbed the box with the pliarrs and pull the box
and did not pull a cable ?
Old 04-29-2015, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ColoradoRS4
Another message to all those that have pulled the wheel liner, found the cables, pulled on them but the hood still wont pop. In this scenario, the cables have popped out at the actual lock. As long as one side of the hood is able to pop, you'll want to wedge the hood open and cut the hook on the hood on the side that isn't opening. You can do it with a long reciprocating saw blade. you'll have to be cautious in order to try not to damage more than you have to but the end result will be that you are able to open the hood 15 minutes later. You'll need to buy a new hood hook, plastic cover for the hook and new cables..... Problem solved for minimal money spent and the least amount of damge....
funny, this morning this happened to me.
first thing I thought was.
is there a secondary latch ? No.
is it electronic in nature to use vcds ? No.

then I thought cut the hook !
I'm not doing the wheel liner thing
Old 04-29-2015, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by allenst
#3--pull the whole box

do you mean you grabbed the box with the pliarrs and pull the box
and did not pull a cable ?
Seriously? Look at my earlier post in this thread (I think post #16). Photos are there that show you how I did it.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just had same issue, cable to driver side latch broke. Took wheel well inner cover out, played with cable and waisted lots of time. Used wood shimm to hold hood up and made bent screw driver to try and hit release point. (see other thread here about it) 3 hours no luck. Got 10 " metal cutting blade and sawall, cut it in 3 minutes. Use duct tape to protect grill and hood edge. Don't waste time just cut it. I found cable was broken 1/2 " from end.
I used krimper and stainless steel picture hanging wire to fix the cable. I also found a hole in release latch and attached a string to it, so I can release it if it happens again.
Haven't got the new piece yet but hood holds down just fine with one latch. Anyone know if this steel box latch is a common piece on all audi's?

Quick Reply: Hood release wire snapped, hood closed