Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A8 / S8 > A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 267520

Default Odd Spinning Noise

Two times now (separated by a week or two)after pulling into my garage, turning off the car, and getting out I have heard what sounds like a decelerating spinning disk sound that is coming from the rear drivers side. Almost like a high speed motor spinning down. It only lasts for a few seconds. I took a look at my Bentley manual and my best guesses are: parking brake motor on the DSR wheel or left fuel pump. Do either of those make a noise like this when they are about to go out? Any other suggestions as to what this might be. I'll try to get a video of it and post it.
- Black on Black - Cold Weather, Convenience, and Alcantara Packages - 19" 12 Spoke Forged Alloy Wheels - Walnut Steering Wheel - Front Seat Massage & Ventilation - Front & Rear Parktronic - SIRIUS Radio

Add-Ons/Upgrades:
- A8 branded all weather floor mats - Trunk liner - VCDS - VNS Media IPOD/BT interface - 2013 Navteq DVD - Bentley Manual - 4610 MMI Software - Blue transmission fluid
DiagnosisUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 195381

It's hard to say based on your description, but it could be parking brake recalibrating itself.
mishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 259895

If you leave the parking brake off but leave the transmission in "P" and leave the car and lock it (or apply the steering lock), it should do a parking brake calibration, one side at a time. Takes about 30s per side as it winds all the way in and out rather than the <1mm it takes to apply the brake.

Maybe this your hearing?
Old 11-26-2013, 05:14 AM   #4
tjf
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 11363

It will do this every 600 miles.
99.0 A4 2.8
tjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 188665

Has this parking brake motor gone out on anyone? Mine sounds like junk. Maybe they all sound bad but I really hope not.

1997 A8 Quattro
Heated Washer Fluid
Heated Wipers
that_tg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 160390

They are very noisy when they do this calibration.
05SilverA8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 260326

I have heard this also,

To make sure that it is the Parking Brake calibrating set your parking brake an listen to the noise it makes, if it is the same then it is just your P-Brake.

The noise first freaked me out too, when I heard it. I guess looking at the other posts it happens every 6 hundred miles or so.

Dan
Paveldn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 267520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paveldn View Post
I have heard this also,

To make sure that it is the Parking Brake calibrating set your parking brake an listen to the noise it makes, if it is the same then it is just your P-Brake.

The noise first freaked me out too, when I heard it. I guess looking at the other posts it happens every 6 hundred miles or so.

Dan
Cool, I'll give that a shot. Based upon the interval I've heard it happen at, 600mi sounds about right. Thanks for all of the feedback everyone!
- Black on Black - Cold Weather, Convenience, and Alcantara Packages - 19" 12 Spoke Forged Alloy Wheels - Walnut Steering Wheel - Front Seat Massage & Ventilation - Front & Rear Parktronic - SIRIUS Radio

Add-Ons/Upgrades:
- A8 branded all weather floor mats - Trunk liner - VCDS - VNS Media IPOD/BT interface - 2013 Navteq DVD - Bentley Manual - 4610 MMI Software - Blue transmission fluid
DiagnosisUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:00 AM   #9
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 44043

It happens about once a month (give or take). First time I heard it I was thinking wtf?? this is going to be an expensive fix.
Foglight ROW
VCDS Lowered
Keyfob/doorswitch window convenience mod

Chris Knox
President, Wasserwerks
Visit us at Wasserwerks.com or find us on facebook
@wasserwerks for instagram users
1Wasserwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement