Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 08-05-2016, 11:02 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Rearview camera becomes unusable in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rearview camera becomes unusable in the rain?

In the rain, the rearview camera is significantly less useful, as pictured. Does anyone have a fix? Maybe a hydrophobic coating or something to shield the camera?
Attached Thumbnails Rearview camera becomes unusable in the rain?-photo4.jpg  
Old 07-24-2016, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I know of this issue and it certainly happens at the worst time. It happens on my Q5 as well. Maybe a little RainX on the lens would help.

The parking sensors are another problem. I have had ice or debris stick on the sensor and you will get false positives on the PDC.

This is not an Audi only issue.

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 07-24-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I noticed this as well on wife's Buick and son's Honda. I have the aftermarket one, and for some reason, doesnt seem to get this nearly as bad...
Old 08-05-2016, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This seems to be a problem with most rear cameras. VW CC is one of the few that has the camera under the VW logo on the trunk and that opens when car is in reverse. Likely between protection with it being closed most of the time and something over the lens when it is open, that one would be clean. Nissan also has a self cleaning one. It uses a squirt of WW fluid followed by a jet of air to dry that.

Has anyone tried Rain-X? If so does it help?
Old 08-05-2016, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'll have to try some Rain-X. Not a lot of rain in the Seattle area in August, but I'll be sure to report back -- the rain will return soon enough

It's interesting you all reference this being an issue in other cars -- I had never experienced the issue until the A3, though I can only clearly remember using the camera in the rain in an F30 and Jaguar XE.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aarongobo
I'll have to try some Rain-X. Not a lot of rain in the Seattle area in August, but I'll be sure to report back -- the rain will return soon enough

It's interesting you all reference this being an issue in other cars -- I had never experienced the issue until the A3, though I can only clearly remember using the camera in the rain in an F30 and Jaguar XE.
Our family has had this issue with Toyota Solara, Toyota Camry, Lexus ES, Lexus GX, VW Eos, Honda Ciivc and now on the A3. There have not been any cars we owned that had a backup camera that did not have the problem. It is also an issue on the side mirror camera that Honda uses for blind side monitoring. The degree depends on aerodynamics of the car and how much splash back there is onto the back of the car when it is raining or snowing. There is always some, but the A3 seems worse than most we have owned in terms of the back of the car getting dirty every time It is driven in the rain or snow.

I had thought by now they were supposed to be mandatory on all cars in the states. I think there has been a delay in implementation of that, but many car companies have included them when the cars were redesigned. Most with nav have had it for a number of years. Many people seem to be complaining regardless of brand.

I have not tried Rain-X but in theory it sounds promising to help. That's why I asked if anyone tried it.