Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

A5 Electronic Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 Electronic Steering Problem

I purchased a new 2015 Audi A5 approximately four (4) months ago. Love the car ride, control, looks, and etc.. But, I had been having a steering problem, like there was a ghost in the machine. Occasionally, I start the vehicle and the steering wheel will jerk so violently that it would almost break your arm. Shrugged this off as being normal, did not happen all of the time, but on occasion. Next, during various drives, my A5 would abruptly pull me to the left and/or the the right and I would immediately compensate and everything then seemed to be fine. This had happened approximately ten (10) times. Thought it was me or something I was doing wrong? Finally, I took my A5 to the dealership for it's 5000 mile scheduled maintenance. That was performed and everything checked fine. I left the dealership and proceeding to another city to perform some errands. Everything was working fine, until I was on my return trip home and the steering took a mind of it's own and abruptly whipped to the right, I immediately compensated for this and then it abruptly whipped to the left and again I compensated. This happened several times before finally colliding with another vehicle. After all of the commotion from the accident had settled down, I began unloading my A5 so that it could be towed in for repair. To my amazement, all of my personal property, in the trunk, is wet (ruined). There is approximately three (3) inches of water standing in my trunk! Where did this water come from and could this be a clue as to the cause of my steering problem? I noted, in the trunk, driver side trunk quarter panel, there is some kind of device (motor, electronic controller, or etc.). What does this device control? Following the accident, I contacted my dealership service manager and informed him of the problem and the accident and the gave no information as to the probable cause or anything! He stated that there must be a faulty trunk gasket allowing the water to be there. That is totally inconceivable! I had been trough several thunderstorms and had washed my A5 myself several times and not one drop of water was ever found in my trunk. As for the steering issue, he stated that we would all get together for a test drive once my A5 was repaired. What good is that? I have also read that in Audi's TT line there have been five (5) fatalaties due to this electric steering issue. Does anyone out there know anything about Audi's electric steering issue, what is being done to correct it, and what should I do next? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-01-2015, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

That sounds like a serious malfunction that needs immediate attention. I haven't heard of this before. Wherever the water is coming from, that might mess with the electronics somewhere.