Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Headlamp washer jets not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlamp washer jets not working

Hi guys,

This is my first thread, but first of all I wanted to say what a great place you've got here - Keep it up!!

As the title says, my headlamp washer jets on my 2009 S5 aren't working and has since failed the MOT. However the windscreen washer jets work just fine.

I've done the obvious and checked for leaks, checked the fuse and fully topped up the washer bottle, made sure headlights are on, and held on for more than 2 seconds (as stated in the owners manual).

Now at this point I thought I was going to have to take the bumper off to check the hose fittings. Instead, I realised that the headlamp washer jets are activated under water pressure. So, in order to check all the water lines are attached correctly and not blocked, I firstly topped the fluid reservoir until it was at it's absolute maximum without overflowing. I then used my fingers to pry open the flap on the front bumper, and pull on the washer jet extension arms. At this point the level of water dropped. I could push and pull on this jet arm and the fluid would change accordingly (much in the same way a brake system works).

This is my eyes confirms that the hoses are in good order and that nothing is blocked (the vacuum system is functioning correctly). Now would I be right in assuming that there's a problem with the pump itself? Or would that be wrong because the windscreen washers are working? I was thinking perhaps there are two pumps?

My next move is to take the wheel arch lining off and check the state of the pump.

Can anyone assist?

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Old 02-05-2016, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

There ARE two pumps. At least there are on a TT. Welcome by the way!
Old 02-05-2016, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There are two washer pumps. Both pumps are mounted on the washer bottle. Looking at the parts list, each headlamp washer has a pressure cylinder. If both headlamp washers do not work, I have a good hunch that there might be something wrong with the pump especially if the fuse is OK.

Here's the parts diagram for the front windshield washer pump and washer bottle.

Here's the parts diagram for the headlamp washer pump, pressure cylinders and washer bottle.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default legends!

Thanks guys,

I got straight onto GSF yesterday afternoon, and will receive the parts on Monday.

Hopefully it's a quick job of just removing the wheel, the arch lining and then am I correct in assuming everything is fairly easy to spot and accessible?

Dave