Turbo Issue.... ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Issue.... ??

Hi ya'll

Couple weeks ago I rolled over 155,000 miles on my 2003 Allroad 2.7T Manual

I started hearing a noticeable whining sounds that I will assume is one of my turbos. They are both originals and until now haven't had much trouble with.

I do have a check engine light on for my secondary air pump. failure on start up.

Does anyone know of a good rebuild kit or best advice in this situation?

Thanks
Old 06-23-2015, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

bump ^^^

I'll be interested in how this turns out. My secondary air pump has been "on it's way out" for years (according to my mechanic), but still seems to be hanging in there.

My turbos all seem fine at 222k, which is very surprising.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you want a rebuild kit for the turbos or the air pump?

As for the turbos I've read that it's really better to just buy new ones as the time and effort to go in and rebuild the old ones is extensive. Plus, you have to pull the motor to get the old ones out so I would want fresh new ones in there so I wouldn't have to mess with that again.

I just rolled over 200k miles on my original turbos and they seem to be going fine. The key is good oil and consistent oil changes. That end I still have a stock tune so they aren't over stressed.

As for the air pump, I wouldn't mind seeing if someone has a rebuild kit. I imagine it's probably a couple of bearings and hardware.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by G0to60
Do you want a rebuild kit for the turbos or the air pump?

As for the turbos I've read that it's really better to just buy new ones as the time and effort to go in and rebuild the old ones is extensive. Plus, you have to pull the motor to get the old ones out so I would want fresh new ones in there so I wouldn't have to mess with that again.

I just rolled over 200k miles on my original turbos and they seem to be going fine. The key is good oil and consistent oil changes. That end I still have a stock tune so they aren't over stressed.

As for the air pump, I wouldn't mind seeing if someone has a rebuild kit. I imagine it's probably a couple of bearings and hardware.

I hear this loud whine anytime I have rpm's running. I have fairly good power when putting load through the system.

I was thinking about rebuilding the turbos but I most likely replace them. Does anyone have a write up of turbo replacement?

Anyone have suggest have what else to replace when looking to replace my turbos?

Will most likely just order a new air pump

Water pump - thermostat - timing (chain, belt) - valve cover gasket (s) - serpentine belt

Ideas or thoughts?

Thanks for the thoughts