Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car keeps locking itself & arming the alarm while I'm driving ?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car keeps locking itself & arming the alarm while I'm driving ?!?!

I have an 1999 Audi A4 Quatrro (B5), which I bought used last August 2014. Often when I'm driving the car will lock itself and arm the alarm - where the red door lights will blink for the alarm. If I don't do anything about it, the alarm will go off while I'm driving and the only thing to make it stop is to repeatedly unlock the car from my key, which is in the ignition.

A quick fix I usually do when able is shut the car off, take the key out of the ignition, unlock the doors, open the driver's door, slam it shut, lock myself in and unlock it and wait a few minutes to see if it relocks itself again. Only, this doesn't always work and is impossible when I'm literally driving it, soo... its a bit of a pain in the *** >.>

My car's door locks don't work, and I've been told its because of a bad module. I've noticed other weird electrical issues with it as well - like my sun roof sometimes doesn't close or it will open by itself, but this happened only once or twice since I got the car.

I've been told that the issue with my alarm arming itself shouldn't be associated with the fact that my module is bad - but at this point, I'm not even sure. I've seen on other forums that people have been having issues with the door itself and the inner-workings inside - but I'm not really sure if that's the case with mine.

Has anyone else had a similar situation such as this? What can I do for a long-term fix?
Old 04-09-2015, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Check for moisture near driver side floor or driver side rear. Central lock module may be wet or wiring under there may have a short.Not sure about 99 but im chasing same issue with my 01 a6. There is plenty of write ups about similar issue. Also could be lock module,central lock module may be recognizing to arm. Scan with vcds and will give you an idea were to start.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

If its like my 01 the central lock module is in front of driver seat under carpet in a black sealed box. And it it is wet or damp then most likely your drains in front of firewall is clogged with leaves. Also if you are getting water in and its a automatic your trans module could be also getting wet in front of passenger seat. Very expensive module and raises havoc. Research further like I said im basing this on my 01.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Apparently there's the module box in my trunk (right side, near the taillight), right underneath the trunk drainage thing... uncovered, which was why it was getting wet. I realized the pattern - it pretty much acted up whenever there's a heavy rain.

My plan is to replace it and wrap it in some plastic bags for water protection. Hopefully this will solve all my problems
Old 05-26-2015, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

lock module box*

I'm thinking that could possibly be it... since my door locks already don't work and my car is sluggish to lock itself when arming the alarm on purpose. >.>
Old 05-31-2015, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammiie
Apparently there's the module box in my trunk (right side, near the taillight), right underneath the trunk drainage thing... uncovered, which was why it was getting wet. I realized the pattern - it pretty much acted up whenever there's a heavy rain.

My plan is to replace it and wrap it in some plastic bags for water protection. Hopefully this will solve all my problems
You should address the moisture issue first