Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Diverter Valve Question on 2001 225 Audi TT

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diverter Valve Question on 2001 225 Audi TT

Hey guys,

I was hoping you guys could answer a waste gate/ diverter valve/ blow-off question for me...At a cold start to around 10 minutes of driving, the release form the turbo makes a "pssht-t-t-t-t-t-t" (flutter), and I feel like the car is getting full boost, but after 10 ish minutes of driving the release from the turbo makes a much quieter "Pshh" at the same RPMs (sorry for the silly onomatopoeias, don't know how else to explain the sound). Why does the release sound change after driving longer? And am I really losing boost, or is it all in my head? Is something wrong?

My TT is a chipped 225 from 2001 (quattro) with a Bailey DV and a Neuspeed cold air intake, and the car isn't throwing any codes or engine lights. The car isn't originally mine, but these are a few specs you guys might want to know.

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2015, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ralph,

I'm currently running the Forge 007DV on my TT 225 and have found it to be great yet troublesome until set correctly. If the Bailey DV uses a similar spring design to the Forge one I may be able to help.
My DV came with a set of three springs, each with a a different color. Upon doing research I found each spring had a set tension, and was meant to be matched to your car depending on the amount of boost you're running. When using the weakest spring I encountered early boost divertion, as upon reaching the high boost I would hear the valve open and redirect the air which would cause an immediate flatline in the boost pressure. It would also "flutter" after letting off the throttle, which is caused by the piston moving rapidly up and down, opening and closing the valve in quick succession. This was an annoyance as my OEM valve did not have this problem.
Upon switching the spring out for a stronger one and adding a spacer to increase the spring tension even more I was able to achieve full boost, with a clean and consistent dump sound. I would recommend switching springs (if you have the option with Bailey's) or finding a washer or spacer of sorts to put inside the valve with the spring.

- Leon