Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Could use some first-hand advice on a step-by-step upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

When you add spacers and widen the track on a car, you also change the steering geometry. You may like the result, or, you may find the engineers designed it the way it was for some arcane purpose. Like, what they considered good handling. A wider track may make it "smoother" but it will also be less nimble. I don't doubt that can improve some cars, I've just never bought car that I thought needed the front end redesigned that way.

Just one man's opinion.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody asked yet, but I really want to know how good of a deal you were able to get on a repo Q5.

Audi is an incredible value to begin with, so I'm guessing you're very happy.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Good Point

Originally Posted by Redd
When you add spacers and widen the track on a car, you also change the steering geometry. You may like the result, or, you may find the engineers designed it the way it was for some arcane purpose. Like, what they considered good handling. A wider track may make it "smoother" but it will also be less nimble. I don't doubt that can improve some cars, I've just never bought car that I thought needed the front end redesigned that way.

Just one man's opinion.
Redd, good point; I perused a few testimonials on spacers and found more opinions than figures. BUT, your statement did prompt me to think again, and I discovered that spacers would be the last thing I needed when opting for a 25mm offset vs 40mm, considering my intent is to have the wheel fill out the well a bit more-especially with the additional space the body kit will create. Taking the fender extension into account, I'm wondering if going 20x10 would be wise.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

About the price: This little ditty was a repo from Maryland, 2 years in, which migrated up to Canada about a year ago, when the CA dollar was strong against the US dollar. I paid 27G + change, saving about 4G off the Blackbook value, thanx to a friend. My first Audi, and I'm really happy with the purchase!
Old 10-24-2014, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Mann-
I have no idea who you'd even need to find to get a truly qualified opinion on that. From what I've heard elsewhere, "camber kits" are also often needed, or other physical adjustments and replacements to compensate for the changes in steering geometry. But that's all above my pay grade. Not that cosmetics aren't important to me, but they're just way down on the list of priorities compared to handling, stability, and all the other stuff on a car. As long as they don't cross into "butt ugly" territory.(G)
Old 10-24-2014, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

There was another posting around here where the guy said his dealer recommended a suspension drop and wheel spacers. I had to ask if it was the dealer or a salesman who recommended that.
I suppose 5- 10mm on each side might be OK...but Id like to talk to somebody who knows what they are doing before I bought that deal.
Nothing looks crappier than a "modified" tuner car going down the road with the wheels leaning in like a connestoga wagon about to break an axle.

Originally Posted by Redd
Mann-
I have no idea who you'd even need to find to get a truly qualified opinion on that. From what I've heard elsewhere, "camber kits" are also often needed, or other physical adjustments and replacements to compensate for the changes in steering geometry. But that's all above my pay grade. Not that cosmetics aren't important to me, but they're just way down on the list of priorities compared to handling, stability, and all the other stuff on a car. As long as they don't cross into "butt ugly" territory.(G)