Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Mmi nav & traffic

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Mmi nav & traffic

I have a 2014 Q5 TDI and have the free 3 month Sirius radio trial and ran into an issue with the nav today. The nav used to provide traffic updates and use colors such as green for flowing and red for for traffic.

I tried hitting info when in nav and it came up with a contact Sirius and provide serial number for my mmi. I did and initially they claimed the traffic is not part of the 3 month free trial.

I thought we get up to 4 years of Sirius traffic for free?

The woman than claimed to turn off Bluetooth since it interfers with the radio...?

Any advice and info on if traffic is comp for 4 months or longer?
Old 09-11-2014, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After I received my Q, I noticed that the Sirius subscription and Audi Connect were in the dealer's name and not mine. I contacted Audi of America and they quickly and politely remedied the issue. They even gave me an extra 2 weeks of trial service due to the error. If Sirius is having issues and their customer service is not giving you the correct info about your services, just contact Audi of America and they'll fix it for you. You may need to provide them with the subscription account info, but they'll fix it for you. Sirius Traffic definitely shouldn't have expired yet on a 2014.

BTW, Audi of America will answer any question you have and they will resolve almost any problem as well, pertaining to your Audi.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

Traffic was included in the NAV for my wife's 2014 Q5, so their claim is incorrect. I also think that traffic will be available after the Sirius trial period.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest you call the Audi Customer Care 800 number. They work with Sirius to resolve problems like this. They resoleved a couple of problems for me with them.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

We do have 4 years of traffic, and it should've been set up for you already. Some people have had issues with not renewing the satellite radio subscription and having traffic be cut off despite the 4-year free period.

As others have said, get in touch with Audi and they should help you get it fixed if SiriusXM isn't getting the job done as they should. Not sure the nature of the deal, but I would be surprised if SiriusXM didn't have the information available on the trial periods for all manufacturers available. Obviously whether reps want to get that information is another matter. But Audi sounds like they're good about helping their customers out in nearly all cases.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

On the phone with Audi of America because I ran into the same issue today and Sirius this time told me first it was a different fee and not part of the trail. They than proceeded to tell me that my car doesn't have the right receiver to get traffic and the traffic is coming from on star.

I didn't want to waste any additional time and decided that they were wrong but didn't know and didn't know how to solve the issue!

I do have a question... If I am in nav mode I recall "when things worked" that I had green showing perfect traffic flow and red with areas of slow down. Is this color correct and is this from sirrius or from audi connect?

QUOTE=idale;24604981]We do have 4 years of traffic, and it should've been set up for you already. Some people have had issues with not renewing the satellite radio subscription and having traffic be cut off despite the 4-year free period.

As others have said, get in touch with Audi and they should help you get it fixed if SiriusXM isn't getting the job done as they should. Not sure the nature of the deal, but I would be surprised if SiriusXM didn't have the information available on the trial periods for all manufacturers available. Obviously whether reps want to get that information is another matter. But Audi sounds like they're good about helping their customers out in nearly all cases. [/QUOTE]
Old 09-12-2014, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by imdakine1
On the phone with Audi of America because I ran into the same issue today and Sirius this time told me first it was a different fee and not part of the trail. They than proceeded to tell me that my car doesn't have the right receiver to get traffic and the traffic is coming from on star.

I didn't want to waste any additional time and decided that they were wrong but didn't know and didn't know how to solve the issue!
lol OnStar.... But the "doesn't have the receiver" is the issue people have had getting traffic only, since I think we just have the one code for the whole unit and not a separate traffic ID so the reps thought we didn't have traffic support or something.

I do have a question... If I am in nav mode I recall "when things worked" that I had green showing perfect traffic flow and red with areas of slow down. Is this color correct and is this from sirrius or from audi connect?
That's from SiriusXM, the only traffic data is from satellite. If only we had Google Maps traffic data to go with the Google Earth view....

And yes, green = normal, red = bad, and then there's orange in between. Though the accuracy of the data has seemed rather questionable to me, as well as on what interval it's updated. There's not many roads around here with traffic data so unless I'm on the freeway it's of extremely limited use.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

If Audi or Sirius is using the same traffic sources as Garmin and Magellan, they're useless. I've seen both say no problem, until I was stuck in it. And then a one to two minute delay...repeated for the next twenty minutes.

I've had some odder results with Telenav Scout, which doesn't always TELL you there's a traffic problem, but sometimes it throws you a route that looks totally wrong--but is the best route because they are accounting for the traffic, way in advance. They don't tell you that, so you look at the route and say "WFT?" and the answer is traffic not being shown.

When I remember to use Waze (which has really come a long way) that seems to be 100% on the noise about traffic. Like all Google products it needs a little work and that's no priority with them, but it seems to be the most accurate traffic warning, way better than the rest.