Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Piston and Ring replacement or new engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 03:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So there's no hope 👍😂😂😂
Old 03-27-2015, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well I think we debated turning the Audi back in for a trade and negotiating with the dealer the trade in value towards a new car. Regardless of what the dealer is going to do it WILL be a major hassle and if it does not get fixed properly it could be a long drawn out extended headache. Everyone usually experiences that one car that is a reliability nightmare and this is probably yours. My advice dump the ugly date and move on
Old 03-27-2015, 05:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Hockeymonkey
Well I think we debated turning the Audi back in for a trade and negotiating with the dealer the trade in value towards a new car. Regardless of what the dealer is going to do it WILL be a major hassle and if it does not get fixed properly it could be a long drawn out extended headache. Everyone usually experiences that one car that is a reliability nightmare and this is probably yours. My advice dump the ugly date and move on
...but we're in love 😃

I would but I'd lose about $2,500.00. Don't think its worth it
Old 03-27-2015, 07:10 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

There is no reason, if done properly, a rebuild will cause any problems. Honestly, if your dealer is too incompetent to do something that relatively simple in the grand scheme of things, their service department must not be all that good. I've got friends who have rebuilt their own engines in their garages, and have had no problems. A dealer shop should be able to do it that much better. If not, find a different dealer. Replacing pistons and rings should not be a difficult job for a dealer tech to perform.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would ask who exactly is going to do the repair and where. In my case I assumed that since it was a high volume, very nice Audi dealer they would do the work. I seriously doubt that an Audi dealer would tie up one of their bays with a job that will take a long time when they can maximize service volume through that bay and make way more money. I think it comes down to economics and that is why they bid out the work.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I took my mother in law's 2008 A4 2.0, which had a little over 46K miles, to Audi Escondido for an oil consumption test earlier this month. She is the original owner and the standard warranty was already expired. The test showed that the A4 was burning 2 qtrs. of oil per 1K miles and that the repair was to replace the piston rings. Audi agreed to cover the piston repair work and the loaner with Audi Escondido doing the work. The piston replacement took approx. 1 week to complete, which was done after the dealer had the car for about a week while waiting for Audi decision. I picked up the A4 after repairs and the engine ran smoothly without any lag or hesitation which was present before the repairs.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Piston, ring ,engine rebuild

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
There is no reason, if done properly, a rebuild will cause any problems. Honestly, if your dealer is too incompetent to do something that relatively simple in the grand scheme of things, their service department must not be all that good. I've got friends who have rebuilt their own engines in their garages, and have had no problems. A dealer shop should be able to do it that much better. If not, find a different dealer. Replacing pistons and rings should not be a difficult job for a dealer tech to perform.
The picture of your allroad on the left looks just like my 2013 Allroad. It needs the rebuild done. Do you have any idea how much this cost?