Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Remove, Replace, or Gut the rear arm rest?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So is doing this not interfering with any FCC rules and regulations?
Old 06-27-2015, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Why would installing a commercially approved and openly marketed domestic picocell violate any FCC regulations?

Much the same as installing a car phone (which really hasn't been sold since analog days) the FCC doesn't require much of anything as long as you don't create interference and you remain below the allowed unlicensed power limits.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:05 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
I think here, this has to be bought with the MMI package? And that no hardware is actually in the car, unless you buy it that way. Or rather, if you buy the MMI, the hardware is part of that package?
Correct. Unless you spec the Technology package with Navigation and AudiConnect then the necessary components aren't in the car.

When the car has AudiConnect, it has all of the hardware to be its own full-fledged phone. But its only Europe that allows this feature (Can be enabled via VCDS). If Audi allowed the feature on our cars here in the US, and you had rSAP capability on your phone, then you would be able to get into the car and the car would use your phone's data connection for the AudiConnect instead of having to pay for a separate plan. (Do you sense this might have been on purpose and ultimately pushed by the carriers? I THINK SO!) When you pair and rSAP phone, an additional item becomes available in the MMI for text messages as well.

...at least an "Audi standard" telecom box that could be upgraded as needed!
This has been a major topic I have been researching for the last couple days and I am getting very confident that a plug and play option might be possible.

There was another thread going on about how some Audi owners over in another state are getting a free upgrade done to their cars. When AudiConnect first came out the internal modem only supported T-Mobile's 2100mhz 3G and 850/1800mhz 2G frequencies. Well T-Mobile dropped the 2100mhz frequency in their area and left all of the AudiConnect users with only 2G in their cars. Audi must have eventually saw this was going to happen because in MY2013, the cars came with an upgraded modem in the MMI unit that supported 850/2100mhz 3G and 850/1800mhz 2G. This is why you can put an ATT sim card in the newer Audis and get 3G. (Once again, Im sure you know this).

side note:
Early modem is a Harmon/Becker BE9449EC108 (only 2100mhz 3G)
Current modem is a Harmon/Becker EC4 (850/2100mhz 3G)

I looked at the upgrade process and saw that all the Audi Techs do is remove the top cover of the MMI unit and lift the modem out of its socket in the back right corner and put in the new one to give older Audiconnect cars the capability to connect to Tmobile's 850mhz 3g band. I dont even think a software update to the MMI is needed because the modem itself has its own hardware and software inside and is a standalone unit. It just provides a data connection to the MMI hardware.

I guarantee you that as soon as ATT decides to start dropping 3G frequencies, Audi will be offering another modem to its customers so they aren't left dead in the water with a non-functioning AudiConnect system.

Heres a pic of someone pulling the modem out of an MMI unit:
Old 06-27-2015, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

" remove the top cover of the MMI unit "
Is that the undocumented "electronics bay" module under the p/s seat? Any information about that, or how to access the area? (Can you get in without removing the seat and uninstalling the carpet and rocker panel trim?)
If that's accessible, I'd certainly like to be able to use the area, and find a plug to bring power to it.

On the US carriers...Their policies about what "must" be, contrary to the rest of the world, and their occasional reversals because things "must" be otherwise...incredible. Yes, they do in fact mandate that they will not provide service to equipment--even compatible equipment--unless they have approved it. This is why we only had A-GPS for years ($10/month extra to the carrier) while the rest of the world had real standalone GPS in phones. And then, when the networks couldn't handle the data bandwidth, all of a sudden we got full GPS.

Or, from the start, when phones had minute timers so you could track your minutes. Except, the timers in the phone always rounded DOWN while the timers in billing always rounded UP. Real hard to do that by accident.

Even more curious, call recording on Androids is built into the OS. There's a function call in the standard Android library which allows a program to send the voice audio stream (inbound and outbound) to any standard location, including a file. Voila, send it to the file as well as the modem and it has been recorded. But on almost all US Android phones, from almost all carriers and makers, somehow, that basic function has been mysteriously REMOVED. There's no state or federal law that requires this, the FCC is clear such recording is (federally) legal, for a start.

But somehow...the US carriers have decided to remove a basic Android function. Which in theory puts them all in violation of the Android usage terms and in theory means they are no longer allowed to use the OS.

Funny how that happens.

Kinda like the 1970's when MaBell said plugging in your own phone could cause Global Mutually Assured Destruction. (sigh)

Some companies just don't get it. You make life EASY for your customers, and they tend to stick with you for life. You cheat them, you complicate them, you lie to them...eventually a number of them go elsewhere, and never come back.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:21 PM
Club AutoUnion

" remove the top cover of the MMI unit "
Is that the undocumented "electronics bay" module under the p/s seat?
No. Its the actual MMI control unit in the dash. Motherboard, processor, Hard drive, bluetooth module, cellular modem are all in the MMI unit.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Darn & drat, that's what I was afraid of. No MMI here, just AMI.

OTOH I made progress on the fire extinguisher tonight. Having used them in and out of cars a number of times, I always used to keep one or two in the trunk. (Don[t ask me, they keep finding me over the years.) Which of course usually meant "down there" "in that pile" or "SOMEWHERE" which is not the best way to get one quickly.

So I figured that since Audi has an exorbitant metal bracket for the 1-pound joke size (meets racing rules, useful for ashtray fires) to mount horizontally under the /ps front seat...maybe...Ayup. There's enough room to mount a standard 2-1/2 pound dry powder extinguisher the same way. I found a roll bar holder, three big Velcro straps, and after putting a rubber pipe sleeve over the seat crossbar (to dampen vibration) I ziptied the older to the same crossbar. Three big Velcro straps hold the extinguisher firmly out of the way. Doesn't hit or impede anything. Some cushioned vinyl velcro'd directly under it ensure that the carpet won't chafe or impede motion, and again, dampen any movement, since it "rides" on the floor as much as the seat.

I know, the factory hangs it from the seat. I got clips, looked at the options, and decided the Velcro and cushioning is a better way to go.

"Marine" bicarbonate extinguisher, btw, because they don't corrode electricals and machine parts the way the 50c cheaper yellow powder models do.

Of course if Audi could count to two (pounds) I'd have been glad to buy one from them. But a 1-pound extinguisher? Nah, once you've used the bigger ones, those little things are like Fisher-Price EZ-Bake ovens.(G)
Old 06-30-2015, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

mrclopec-
Got to the armrest tonight. As usual the reality doesn't quite reflect the instructions. The metal clamps did not care about being pressed. However, they each easily pulled straight out. Apparently they are inserted in tracks in the cupholder assembly and when pulled out, they free it up very easily.
Unfortunately, the frame around the assembly is rather substantial, and that appears to be firmly and permanently built into the armrest, so it may be too tight a spot for me. I'll be back to poking around tomorrow, but it looks like that frame can't come out.
Incredibly complex assembly for a cup holder!
Old 06-30-2015, 09:34 PM
Club AutoUnion

Yeah that center armrest is quite complicated. When I took the upholstery off that back 2/3 seat in order to fit the OE heating elements for rear seat heating, I just worked around that center armrest because it looked like a nightmare. I do have the diagrams for disassembly but unfortunately I'm not able to access them until I return to the States.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Maybe this will help
Old 07-01-2015, 07:58 AM
Club AutoUnion

So, a piece of information you might find impressive. I just finished touring the Audi Factory in Ingolstadt today and got to see the assembly line that our beloved Q5's go down. The tour was specifically focused on the A3 but the A4, A5 and Q5 are made in the same facility. At several points I saw Q5's being stamped and welded in the distance. The technology is just mindblowing. Furthermore one would think that due to all of the different variations in engines, transmissions, and other options, that they would dedicate a specific day or time frame for, let's say, the 2.0 petrol engine cars. Nope. Not even close. You could have an SQ5 running right in line next to a 2.0 P+. With all of the different variations in builds my big question I wanted to know had to do with the wiring harnesses in each vehicle. Due to the dozens of variations in wiring harnesses for each different option combination that could be spec'd, I was sure that the harness production was mostly automated. Nope again. They are all each made by a human for each vehicle they go into. If you or anyone ever has an opportunity to tour this plant, I highly recommend it. It made me just love my car even more.

Quick Reply: Remove, Replace, or Gut the rear arm rest?