Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

VW admits cheating on 3.0 V6 TDI diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
So maybe TDI owners will now stop bragging about how amazing their engine are!

Sorry, I could not resist...
Not likely. And this sounds like ***** envy.

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Old 11-20-2015, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
I never lease cars and for some reason I leased my 2015 TDI. I feel like that was smart....
Good choice - at least you get to have a choice at lease end:
1. Keep the car and buy it out if you love it or becomes very valuable...
2. Dump it and get out it with no penalty or loss of value....

That's what I do - lease to test drive it for 3 years and figure out if it will remain with me....

So far, after leasing 4 BMW cars, my current ride (diesel X5) will be the keeper.....

The other car is a Land Rover which I just leased and may not be the one to keep as it has some peculiar issues - electrical and mechanical.....
Old 11-20-2015, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by plat27265
My understanding is that whatever tweaks that need to happen will result in a higher consumption of DEF being used by the Urea System to deal with NOx gases.

I do not think the fix will result in degraded engine performance unless the current Urea System is inadequate.

So, I really do not understand this 'sky is falling' reaction to this issue.
That was my understanding. I'm honestly hoping for that. If that's the case we can all move on. I can't be the only person who JUST WANTS TO MOVE ON lol
Old 11-20-2015, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

If only VW did not cut corners by excluding the SCR post exhaust urea hardware, they would not be facing this issue.

I always wondered how VW & Audi were able to get away without urea/DEF in their diesels.

Question: Does the Chevy Cruze 2.0 diesel use the post SCR urea injection or not ???
Old 11-20-2015, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4SallyPat
If only VW did not cut corners by excluding the SCR post exhaust urea hardware, they would not be facing this issue.

I always wondered how VW & Audi were able to get away without urea/DEF in their diesels.

Question: Does the Chevy Cruze 2.0 diesel use the post SCR urea injection or not ???
Yup. They did it the right way. Does our Q5 not have one? I thought it did
Old 11-20-2015, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

[QUOTE=4SallyPat;24745464]If only VW did not cut corners by excluding the SCR post exhaust urea hardware, they would not be facing this issue.

Question: Does the Chevy Cruze 2.0 diesel use the post SCR urea injection or not ???[/QUOT

Our 2013 passat has it and still on the list.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rbradleysd
That was my understanding. I'm honestly hoping for that. If that's the case we can all move on. I can't be the only person who JUST WANTS TO MOVE ON lol
+1
Old 11-20-2015, 05:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The 3.0 L Q5 TDI does have the Urea injection system. The first thing that comes to mind when people tell me not to worry, that this will simply be a flashing of the software controlling the engine, is the question: Then why was using this software necessary to begin with?
And what's this BS that this is something other than "defeat software"? Something that is legal in Europe? What a crock Audi is stringing us. Really? in Europe it's legal to spew out 9 times the permitted amount of Nitrogen Oxide? It seems to me that they aren't admitting that this is a "cheat" but more of a misunderstanding between them and the EPA. Without admitting they have intentionally deceived anyone they are sure to try to weasel out of giving any compensation if things don't resolve themselves to owner satisfaction. This company is rotten through and through. Just give me my money back! Great performance vehicle, unfortunately it was a blatant lie from the get-go!
Old 11-20-2015, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wait until EPA goes after VAG 3.0 liter gasoline engines.

They have already uncovered a bunch of VAG gasoline engines cheating emissions in Europe.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have just tempted Karma, Yoshimura. It waits for the perfect time to strike...you'll know the instant.

Quick Reply: VW admits cheating on 3.0 V6 TDI diesel