Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Cheap Sim Card and Plan for Audi Connect

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a freedom pop sim which gives you enough data for a month for free. Other people recommended it but I can't get it working. Just wont connect to data even though my 3g sign is showing on the display panel.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by snagitseven
After you receive the sim, go on the website and register it to your account. After an hour or so to give them time to process the info, insert the sim then go to tel, connection settings and enter the following:

APN: pwg
User: enter a single space
PW: leave blank

Test with one of the Audi Connect services, i.e. weather, online destination or Google Earth.
I got the freedom pop for my 2014 Q5 which originally had Tmobile for data. I've set the APN as you suggest but it won't connect. Strange as my display shows 3g in bottom left corner. Any ideas please?
Old 02-13-2017, 09:18 AM
jes
AudiWorld Member

follow the instructions with the Freedom Pop SIM... change the APN to three..., don't change the user name or password.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by EnglishAndy
I got the freedom pop for my 2014 Q5 which originally had Tmobile for data. I've set the APN as you suggest but it won't connect. Strange as my display shows 3g in bottom left corner. Any ideas please?
That APN is for US Mobile, not Freedompop. You have to change the APN as directed from their website.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Look at my post #204 in this thread. Originally had some problems myself.
Then scroll down to post #209. How problem was solved.
It's a great free service.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm having trouble getting freedompop SIM to work. I changed the APN to freedompop.foggmobile.com, username is one space, nothing in the password field and roaming checked. When I go to online status overview, it shows AT&T data service with "good" strength. At the bottom of the screen it displays AT&T in the center and to the right shows 3G and 4/5 bars lit up.

When I try to do a Google location search, it asks to make a data connection, I say yes, and it fails after a few seconds.

Any idea what could be wrong? 2014 Q5.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't change the user name or password. Change the APN and select data roaming. The card that comes with the SIM card tells you exactly how to set it up. I have one in both Q5's and they both work. I've never come close to using all of the free data.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by BarryT
You don't change the user name or password. Change the APN and select data roaming. The card that comes with the SIM card tells you exactly how to set it up. I have one in both Q5's and they both work. I've never come close to using all of the free data.
do you have the data only sim or th data/voice/text cheap one? I have the latter and can't get it to connect. APN is freedompop.foggmobile.com and roaming is checked - no luck.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jrad
do you have the data only sim or th data/voice/text cheap one? I have the latter and can't get it to connect. APN is freedompop.foggmobile.com and roaming is checked - no luck.
I have the data, voice, and text sim cards. I have one in both Q5's and in my iPad. Remove the card and reinstall it. If it won't work contact their tech support.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by BarryT
I have the data, voice, and text sim cards. I have one in both Q5's and in my iPad. Remove the card and reinstall it. If it won't work contact their tech support.
strange. I have taken it out a couple times and let it rediscover the network, which works, but online location search just fails every time. There is one space in the username field, but I can't delete that as it won't let me press OK if I do. I'll try contacting support.

Last edited by jrad; 02-19-2017 at 04:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Cheap Sim Card and Plan for Audi Connect