S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Only one gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SHOStpr
You are talking about the plastic ball the shifter pivoits on right??? I didn't see a nut on there?? If I can figure out how to post a video I will show you how much movement there is....
ya that's the one, there's a nut just above the boot, where the bracket meets the tranny. At that piece there shouldn't be any movement. As long as you don't move the shifter. Just wiggle it, not enough to move the shifter around, but enough to see if there's slop within the components themselves. Between the shifter rod and that bracket that carries the ball, there shouldn't be any slop. By all axis, forward, backward, side to side and in and out. Obviously with high mileage this will wear. Mine has... hence my forward and aft slop.

Good luck

oh ya, in the header of the reply section you'll see a paper clip, that attaches items. check it out
Old 05-14-2011, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

You are talking about the plastic ball the shifter pivoits on right??? I didn't see a nut on there?? If I can figure out how to post a video I will show you how much movement there is....
It just occurred to me, on the tranny there's a connecting rod that's jointed to the shift rod. It's got this ball-cup swivel, now it's been said that the plastic cup must never be pulled off for any reason as doing so permanently damages this joint. So in order to remove the shift rod, ya gotta also unbolt on the right side of the tranny, that connecting rod.

So here's my occurred moment... I was thinking maybe that connecting rod has either popped off or has broken off. Either way, (here'e the kicker) you would be able to shift side to side... Hence your issue with only third gear. Why fourth doesn't go in.. well I can only imagine that's due to mal-adjustment from coming loose at the shift **** end. Not your fault but still needs to be adjusted. As for the connecting rod, that'd the thing to check amongst the rest of the other ideas. Still check that ball and socket I mentioned before, when I checked mine (cuz I was curious to y I had so much slop) I found that the socket was worn out and allowed tons of fore and aft movement... At my shifter, you can move it easily an inch before pushing it into a gear. So ya that's a ton of slop. Side to side is fine... funny how that is...

Chris
Old 05-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is a video of what happens:
http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f8...215f3b71ab.mp4

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f8...42c84dd1a4.mp4

Hopefully this will help.....
Old 05-14-2011, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

From what you've shown, it seems to be that connecting rod I'm talking about. Hopefully someone here can confirm that for me. But seem like that'd be the issue. Best thing to do is look under and check that rod. It's the one going across the tranny. It's short about 10 to 12 inches I believe. Could be that the cup part cracked. Look on the left side of the tranny where the cup snaps into the shifting rod bracket, what your looking for is to make sure it's still snapped in. If not then that's the problem. If it is still there, then maybe the bolt on the other side came out. It's all theory, but better than having nothing I guess.

If it's none of those, maybe something internally in the tranny. Hopefully not thou. And both shift rod and stabilizer rod are connected to the shifter? The reason why reverse seems like it goes in, is because in the shifter housing it locks into a groove until removed by the driver. So that's just throwing you off.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think I know what you mean by the connecting rod. It is the thin rod that connects the shifting rod and the stablizing rod and it connects over the top of the transmission. If that is broken to replace it does the trans have to be drop to get at it? More info tommorrow after I can get it up on jack stands.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default well

I think I know what you mean by the connecting rod. It is the thin rod that connects the shifting rod and the stablizing rod and it connects over the top of the transmission. If that is broken to replace it does the trans have to be drop to get at it? More info tommorrow after I can get it up on jack stands.
not really, bentley says you have to lower trans to get to it. Lower sub-frame by two inches and then work of the rods. As for the connecting rod and shifting rod, they're mated. They have to be bought together, it's the only way they come, packaged together.

I'm looking to taking the shifter rod out myself to do the shifter rod's ball cup socket replacement. So sick of that slop.

The connecting rod bolts to the trans housing just as the stabilizing rod does too. Those two pieces are totally separated. So when you go to remove/replace the shifter rod, you'll remove the nut to the shifter rod bracket on the left side of the tranny, then remove the connecting rod bolt, on the right side of the tranny. Oh also another thing to keep in mind, when you get that shifter bracket out, there's that tiny shim that sometimes falls out and most ppl don't realize it. It maybe loose, if so you'll have to install it inside the bracket before putting the bracket back onto the tranny. And of course at the shifter it self you'll unbolt the shifter rod.

Then it's a matter of orchestrating it through the tight and bloody mess of other parts in the way. hahahahha.... Can't wait to do mine... sigh :.( lol

Chris
Old 05-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay I have it up on jack stands and sure enough the bolt that holds the small bar that connects the stablizing rod and shifting rod together has come loose. And unfortunitly it came off on the passenager side. It's not broke or anything but I have no idea how I can get it back in place. If I have to lower the trans to just screw a bolt back in I am going to be pissed.....
Old 05-15-2011, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default yup...

Okay I have it up on jack stands and sure enough the bolt that holds the small bar that connects the stablizing rod and shifting rod together has come loose. And unfortunitly it came off on the passenager side. It's not broke or anything but I have no idea how I can get it back in place. If I have to lower the trans to just screw a bolt back in I am going to be pissed.....
that's the only way I know to do it. There's isn't much clearance to get a hand up there and screw it in, then to put a wrench and tighten.... won't happen. Just not enough room.

Believe me, I'm not looking forward to doing the same thing you gotta do, just to replace this stupid ball socket. grrr... Wish I just had my JHM Solid Short Throw Shifter. Do it once and be done with it.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Guess what...you can attach the little cross over bar without lowering the craddle. What I ended up doing is pulling the intake and taking the cold air intake off.....then I was able to reach behind the motor and tighten it with an allen wrench....I will say that it took a bit and was hard on the hands and arms but it attached...loctite'd....and tight. Now for the next problem I have reverse and 1 through 4 but no 5th and 6th. I am trying to get the linkage adjusted right but I am having issue with that. The back is easy enough to get where I want it but the right to left isn't right. Now that the cross over bar is attached the shifter wants to stay all the way to the right. I think I need to get the shifter to move back to the left but I can't seem to get it there. All of the gears are to far to the right right now...
Old 05-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am still having problems...Once I reconnected the small crossover bar I haven't been able to shift into 5th or 6th. It seems like everything is moved to far to the right....Reverse is where 1st should be 1st is where 3rd should be and so on. Does anyone have any ideas for me? All the linkage looks correct, nothing is sloppy, or broken.

Quick Reply: Only one gear