S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Only one gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only one gear

First off I just bought the car 3 days ago....it is a 2001.5 6 speed. I put about 200 miles on and last night I pulled into my driveway and went to back into my spot and no reverse. It's in 3td gear it feels like it shifts into other gear but it just says in 3td. Also, there is a lot of side to side slop in the gear shift. Nothing out of the ordanary happened less than 1/4 mile from my house it was working fine. I am new to this car and I am wondering where I should start looking for answers at? Any help would be great.

thanks,
Nathan
Old 05-14-2011, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default hopefully...

Originally Posted by SHOStpr
First off I just bought the car 3 days ago....it is a 2001.5 6 speed. I put about 200 miles on and last night I pulled into my driveway and went to back into my spot and no reverse. It's in 3td gear it feels like it shifts into other gear but it just says in 3td. Also, there is a lot of side to side slop in the gear shift. Nothing out of the ordanary happened less than 1/4 mile from my house it was working fine. I am new to this car and I am wondering where I should start looking for answers at? Any help would be great.

thanks,
Nathan
it's something totally something stupid like... the gear shifter rod and stabilizer rod have come loose at the gear shifter. Pop up your gear shift cover starting from the back, remove you **** first. Then pop up cover and slide back slightly, you'll see how it has to go, also you'll prob have to open the ashtray to get the forward lip out from under it. Then there will be a dust/noise cover (if it's still there) it has two 10mm nuts on it, remove the nuts and lift out. From there you'll be able to see both rod and the screw of which that hold them in place. Chances are they just came loose, Why? Well that's a whole other discussion haha.

Here check this site out for a solid video about what your looking at and how to adjust the rods. This same thing happen to a buddy of mine, he shifts really hard and one day he moved the adjustment just by shifting and that was all it took. Not much at all to throw it out of alignment.

http://audishifter.com/videos/B5_A4-...nstall_vid.wmv

Hope this helps
Chris
Old 05-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did pull the boot out and everything was loose. The first thing I did is tighten everything and try but still only 3td gear and neutral. Any other ideas?
Old 05-14-2011, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did pull the boot out and everything was loose. The first thing I did is tighten everything and try but still only 3td gear and neutral. Any other ideas?
Well first off, there's an exact adjustment that has to be made for proper mesh into gear selections, but you can't even get fourth gear?

hmm.. maybe it's pushed to far to the third gear side of things that it's not traveling far enough to reach fourth. it's an idea... worth a try unless you've already done this.

I've seen it done half-*** and it causes problems.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

do you have an angle meter that's magnetic? that way you can set up the gear shifter.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yep...I think the video I saw said something like 4 to the right and 7 back. When I get home to night I will hopefully be able to get the car off the ground and verify that nothing is broke under the car.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default yup...

Yep...I think the video I saw said something like 4 to the right and 7 back. When I get home to night I will hopefully be able to get the car off the ground and verify that nothing is broke under the car.
3 to the right, when ur down there, take a look at the bushing on the stabilizer bar. Could be gone if it has that much slack in it. Oh just remembered another thing, also the ball and socket, maybe the socket garbage? Mine is, lots of forward rearward slack. Got a another socket for it, but it's a bitch to pull out, lower the sub frame and all that good stuff.... ugh... oh well some day soon hahahha. I'm sick of it.

Good luck, lmk.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay it's raining out so I jacked it up to take a quick look and I can see where the ball and socket are....nothing is obviously broke. It's puzzling... It feels like it shifts into every gear but when you go to take off it's in the same gear no matter what postion the shift lever is in. Also, every postion you put into except for reverse there is as much right to left movement as if you were in neutral. When I was sold the car the previous owner said that the clutch was just redone about 1500 miles ago at the dealer. (also he provide receipts) I am open to suggestions of any sort at this time.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Okay it's raining out so I jacked it up to take a quick look and I can see where the ball and socket are....nothing is obviously broke. It's puzzling... It feels like it shifts into every gear but when you go to take off it's in the same gear no matter what postion the shift lever is in. Also, every postion you put into except for reverse there is as much right to left movement as if you were in neutral. When I was sold the car the previous owner said that the clutch was just redone about 1500 miles ago at the dealer. (also he provide receipts) I am open to suggestions of any sort at this time.
hmm.. when it's not raining, grab hold of that ball and socket, see if it moves around with slop or not. Also check on the other side of the tranny (right side), for that bushing and if theres slop in that rod also.

Also check the nut that holds that shifter ball in place, check to see if it's loose. Could've been removed before, there's a shim that goes inside that piece on the bottom. Could've been lost with driving if that piece came loose also. ALSO, happend to that same buddy of mine. (most of you are thinkin wow that buddy is an idiot), ya he has his moments. lol
Old 05-14-2011, 02:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chris's S4

Also check the nut that holds that shifter ball in place, check to see if it's loose. Could've been removed before, there's a shim that goes inside that piece on the bottom. Could've been lost with driving if thatmost of you (
You are talking about the plastic ball the shifter pivoits on right??? I didn't see a nut on there?? If I can figure out how to post a video I will show you how much movement there is....

Quick Reply: Only one gear