S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Only one gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needs

Originally Posted by SHOStpr
I am still having problems...Once I reconnected the small crossover bar I haven't been able to shift into 5th or 6th. It seems like everything is moved to far to the right....Reverse is where 1st should be 1st is where 3rd should be and so on. Does anyone have any ideas for me? All the linkage looks correct, nothing is sloppy, or broken.
to be re-adjusted then. That shift rod, far left and furthest one below needs to be loosened and allow the shifter to come over to the left a little more. Does your shifter sit right now to the right to much than normal?

If you can get a magnetic angle finder, it would be much easier.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes it sits to far to the right. When I loosen it I can set where it should be but when I tighten it moves to the right like it is on a spring. I did take both the stab bar and the shifter rod off the shift. Is there a special way to put it back together?
Old 05-24-2011, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Nah,

Originally Posted by SHOStpr
Yes it sits to far to the right. When I loosen it I can set where it should be but when I tighten it moves to the right like it is on a spring. I did take both the stab bar and the shifter rod off the shift. Is there a special way to put it back together?
just bolts right up. but there is an adjustment for the whole shifter assembly. if you look at where the shifter goes into third gear, straight forward there's a bolt that has a forward and backward adjustment. That should be right in the center of the adjustment range. You probably still have it there. That's one that's basically generic, in the center usually works well just as eye balling it in the center.

As for it jumping back to the right as you tighten it... hold it. It'll move around as it gets closer to being tighten. Did you check out that shifter install video from JHM? He explains how to get it right without the level. You basically feel for 2nd, where it hits the stop, then try the rest of the gears. If your still having an issue, maybe not enough rearward tilt, then you could try that forward bolt. Loosen just enough to slide the shifter base back a little more, tighten. Re-adjust shifter rod, then try it out. hahaha Sounds like some serious rocket science stuff here. geez.

Good luck,
Chris

Worse case scenario you could always look at jhm's videos.