S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Newer A6 2.0T Oil question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newer A6 2.0T Oil question

Hello everyone,
Hopefully I am posting this in right forum. I have a 2013 A6 2.0T picked up last September, and I am coming up on oil change this weekend. I cannot find anywhere what the quantity of oil required is for the 2.0T engine. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? Also, is there a regular oil dipstick available to replace the stickler cap for back up quantity check to the MMI check?

Thank you
Old 02-25-2015, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

You'd want to have 5 qts of VAG spec 502.00 oil on hand.

Mobil 1 0W40 is the most common and least expensive in the USA.

Welcome aboard!
Old 02-25-2015, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wow,
that was quick reply. Thank you. With doing oil change at the 16k mile mark, is there any engine/oil messages reset that need doing, and able to do via the MMI or requires visit to dealer to reset?
What's the consensus as far as doing my own maintenance if mechanically inclined vs buying the Audi Care to do the scheduled services? I was quoted a price of $1100+tax and don't really know if that is worth the money vs doing it at home as I've done with my previous rides.
Thanks again for the help and welcome.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yes, you'll need something like the VCDS cable to reset the service/nag system. Or the dealer can do it. Or your local VCDS person can do it for you.

I thought AudiCare was $920 ?? Maybe it's higher on the A6? Don't discount the value of the AudiCare program. It's a fair deal, but it also gets the vehicle back to the dealership for recalls, campaigns etc. that you might not catch otherwise and that can help build rapport should there be warranty claims or other issues that may involve dealer discretion for taking care of stuff outside of warranty.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I currently drive a 2010 S4 with a DSG. I skipped Audi care only because I do all my own oil changes and I do an oil analysis on each oil change. Although I really trust my dealers service department I don't want to hassle them to take a oil sample at each oil change. For DSG cars and the more frequent DSG service I think Audi Care is an amazing deal. Just the transmission service alone is around $400. If you have a 8 SP then it's probably still a good deal and then it comes down more to how much you enjoy the convenience of not having to go to the dealer for the oil changes and how much you enjoy doing the work yourself.

I'm also very particular about what type of oil I want to run in my engines so that is another motivator for me to do the work myself.

Thankfully my 2010 has been bulletproof and I have only needed to take the car in every 35,000 miles for the DSG service...that's when I have them do the other maintenance, TSB's, etc...minus the oil changes.

Also there are so many great features you can turn on with a VCDS cable...it's worth the money...and then you can clear codes and reset your maintenance monitor.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Can you please tell me what DSG is, and about the cable you speak of? Is this for plugging in my laptop with software purchased, and will it work with pc only or also Apple? What would the program cost?
Thank you again for help. I'm normally a do it yourself guy and have always done my own maintenance on cars, trucks, boats. Just not familiar with this girl yet, and costs of doing things with it.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by boaterholic
Can you please tell me what DSG is, and about the cable you speak of? Is this for plugging in my laptop with software purchased, and will it work with pc only or also Apple? What would the program cost?
Thank you again for help. I'm normally a do it yourself guy and have always done my own maintenance on cars, trucks, boats. Just not familiar with this girl yet, and costs of doing things with it.
A DSG is a Direct Shift Gearbox. You don't have this on your 2.0. A DSG is a manual transmission that has no clutch pedal.

Direct-shift gearbox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The VCDS or also known as a VAG COM cable is a cable you can purchase from Ross Tech.

Ross-Tech: HEX-USB+CAN Interface

The software is free and all updates are free.

They only support PC's. I had to buy a cheap PC at Best Buy for like $200 since I'm 100% Apple at home.

Through this software you can alter all kinds of things on your VAG (Volkswagen Auto Group) car.

Look at the first post in this thread. You will see a list of possible options for the C7.

C7 A6/A7 & S6/S& VAG COM list and help - Page 9

Hope this helps.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by redrocker55
A DSG is a Direct Shift Gearbox. You don't have this on your 2.0. A DSG is a manual transmission that has no clutch pedal.

Direct-shift gearbox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The VCDS or also known as a VAG COM cable is a cable you can purchase from Ross Tech.

Ross-Tech: HEX-USB+CAN Interface

The software is free and all updates are free.

They only support PC's. I had to buy a cheap PC at Best Buy for like $200 since I'm 100% Apple at home.

Through this software you can alter all kinds of things on your VAG (Volkswagen Auto Group) car.

Look at the first post in this thread. You will see a list of possible options for the C7.

C7 A6/A7 & S6/S& VAG COM list and help - Page 9

Hope this helps.
Ok,
Thank you very much for the information.
Will also look at the post you mentioned.