TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Door handle

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door handle

I have a 2001 Audi TT 225Q. When I unlock the car with my remote I have to pull the handle two times on the driver side (sometimes it opens with one pull) and then 2-4 times on the passenger side, sometimes I have to lock then unlock the car again to try and open the passenger door. What happens is I unlock the car, I pull the handle one time and I feel a hear a click so I let the handle back in and then I pull it again and the door opens. I do not understand what is wrong with it. Does anyone have an idea of what it is for sure? I don't want to take my door apart and mess around with it and still not know what's wrong and possibly break something.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Assuming the door jamb "striker plate" is properly adjusted; the latch/lock mech sounds worn out. Although perhaps just a nyliner on either or both ends of the rod between the door handle and the door latch/lock mech could be worn.

Only way to find out is to get in there and inspect. If money isn't an isslue, you can buy all of the parts in advance and just replace them.

This falls under the "standard automotive mechanical troubleshooting techniques apply" category.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My dad actually took it apart for me. (I don't know the actual names for the pieces so bear with me) There is a piece that flips when you lock and unlock the car, when it's locked it flips and lays against the lever that is operated when you pull the handle on the interior of the car. That piece was flipping too far forward when it was unlocked causing the issue. My dad rigged it so it can't flip so far forward and the door works again. For a while my passenger door wouldn't even open, we had to pull the door panel as far away from the door as we could so my dad could use a wire hanger and somehow unlock it, idk exactly what he did but he got it open. I called Jack and Ingram Audi and the lock actuators are $370 each, I will not be spending that much on them. I'll only do it when they completely stop working. Thank you for the help.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Your Dad sounds like a smart guy. He used standard automotive troubleshooting techniques. Learn all you can from him.

If you need a new latch but can't afford OEM; Doorman, sold by Rock Auto, may be an option for you. It's Chinese junk, but better than nothing.

Also, Module Master in Moscow, Idaho ( not Russia) rebuilds them for a reasonable price.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/sh...6-a8-tt-latch/

new parts a little less than you were quoted here

2001 Audi TT Coupe Door handle, outer door latch central retainer interior release

Also might be the bowden cable which connects the mechanical parts to the inner door handle.

The driver's door on my 2001 coupe does the same thing you've described too lazy to fix it at this time. Twice to open.

RS6 in use, while TT sits.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for the help guys. I really didn't want to spend over $700 for new locks.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Not sure if these will help. Like I sad earlier, Rock Auto has Chines junk versions really cheap. You know a bad one will fail at the worst possible time......
Attached Thumbnails Door handle-rock-auto-snip-6-5-16.png