TT (Mk3) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk3 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2014- present

Navigation Fails with Address Book Entries

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Exactly right for TT/TTS in my experience as well.

Originally Posted by n828cl
The newer MMI in the TT/TTS does not appear to work this way. The menu line for Directory is greyed out until the iPhone has sync'd with MMI (on each power up); after that all of my iPhone contacts are available in Directory - there is no "enter into directory" step. However, a few addresses still aren't usable - possibly the older ones, but I'm not sure.

Note that the Bluetooth settings for Audi MMI on the iPhone must have Sync Contacts enabled.

- Chuck
Old 01-14-2016, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Correct, the address has to be parsed and stored to the car's Directory first, but the steps are different for me and I have the same version MMI as you. I voice command the contact name, then select either the home or business address from the phone's contact at which point it gets immediately parsed. Then below the parsed address I select "Create entry in directory", which creates a shadow copy of the contact with the parsed address that's linked to the phone contact. From that point on, I can either select the parsed address to start navigation or use the "Navigate to...." voice command.
While the terminology was a bit different and I left out the "private/business" selection, that's the same process I wrote in my post. It will also work without using voice command using the selector wheel.

It appears the new MMI as found in the TT and 2016 C7 works differently as confirmed in earlier posts.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by n828cl
The newer MMI in the TT/TTS does not appear to work this way. The menu line for Directory is greyed out until the iPhone has sync'd with MMI (on each power up); after that all of my iPhone contacts are available in Directory - there is no "enter into directory" step. However, a few addresses still aren't usable - possibly the older ones, but I'm not sure.

Note that the Bluetooth settings for Audi MMI on the iPhone must have Sync Contacts enabled.

- Chuck
Sounds like the parsing step is different in the new MMI. The other part is still the same. The Directory is greyed out on my MMI as well until the phone syncs the contacts and after that they are all available. I actually don't have to wait until the syncing finishes. A few seconds into the syncing, the Directory becomes available. The MMI caches all the contacts from the phone and only updates the cache on every power up. Other than for navigation destination purposes there is no need to save a copy to the car's Directory in the older MMI. For example it can directly dial a number from any of the phone contacts.

Originally Posted by snagitseven
While the terminology was a bit different and I left out the "private/business" selection, that's the same process I wrote in my post. It will also work without using voice command using the selector wheel.

It appears the new MMI as found in the TT and 2016 C7 works differently as confirmed in earlier posts.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if you just cited it from memory or if there was indeed something different.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yeah, I wasn't sure if you just cited it from memory or if there was indeed something different.
It was from memory, such as it is these days.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An example of the MMI contact parsing problem: "7700 Quattro Dr" is handled correctly, but "7700 Quattro Drive" is not. Looks like the built-in synonym table isn't quite complete...

(For those not in Minnesota, the above is a real address — Anderson Motorsport.)

- Chuck
Old 07-11-2016, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by i3adSaab
The addresses from my iPhone load fine in Nav, no problem.
Which iPhone are you using, and which firmware version? Thanks.